Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hi all!
Let me start by saying any help or advice will be greatly appreciated and that I am a mother helping my 12 y/o with her Science project and we are taking all safety precautions.
Ok, we are doing the perc/wax/distilled/salt water lava lamp solution. We are at the point of - got the lava to float extremely slowly when hot, but is now at the top with a big hanging bulge but no intention of falling. Any ideas on how to get this stuff to move like an actual lava lamp? We did the salt water slowly being added until it started rising as being said on the previous boards. Now we are stuck. We are even using a Sobe bottle :D. Are we missing something?

Thanks in advance,
Sondra

Views: 396

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok, now I am trying to get the wattage right since we found the dimmer to go on the cord, BUT I messed with the water formula BEFORE not knowing that it was the heat making the lamp not work SO I am going to be tinkering some more. Not really any news as of yet, just an update. We do have a coil in there again and this time it is a better one. Thanks again for the help. I'll keep you updated. Now we are working on the paper side of things, ugh. Also, answer.com gave us the coil answer so we know what it does exactly along with a lot of the other scientific stuff so we can cheat a little there :D. Also, my daughter decided to make her lamp purple lava with neon green water in your honor for your "Mountain Dew" lamp :D. We are trying to come up with a name. We thought of "Mountain Dew Extreme II" or "Pitch Black". Got any ideas?
Oh yea, go us!! We got it!!! It works!! We even videotaped it because the teacher said next time we got it working, to tape it and we could use that at the Science Fair and now, of course, it cycles like a dream everyday! Thank you so much, Brian for helping us with all the technical problems! We could never have got through without you! I will post the video soon.

Take care,
Sondra and May and our "Pitch Black Extreme" (still up for debate) Lava Lamp
Great Job! Am anxious to see the video! Daughter better get first place for as hard as you guys worked on it. "blushes" about the mt. dew extreme II :) you can name it what you want to, it is your creation. I was thinking about getting that black chrome base 52 ouncer with black lava and clear liquid and calling that Pitch Black lol I love that movie!
She liked "Pitch Black" because it was a variation of Mountain Dew, it was the grape flavored one so it was fitting AND she still was naming it for you. I like "Mountain Dew Pitch Black" so we'll see. She is a pretty sweet kid if I do say so myself :D. I have never heard of the movie lol. I am not a movie person. I got a youtube account last night, but I am not sure I want to go that route. It IS pretty boring, just the lamp working that we are setting to music. I'll probably try to post it on here somewhere.
I am now keeping my eyes open to help others with their homemade projects to "pay it forward". Already posted a couple tips :D.
I will keep you informed on the results of the Fair. She better get First! They rate on a 3 point scale. 3 kids get first and move on to state, most kids get second, and the ones who threw theirs together or did the stupid mentos in soda experiment, LOL, get third. It is the 24th of Feb (I think) so keep an eye out for a post!

Thanks again!!
Sondra and May
will be looking forward to the 24th of feb. :)
Where did you find the perc? I can only find it in an aerosol can....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service