Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hey!
I bought a Mathmos 'Jet' and it seems pretty clear to me that the bottle has been shaken :(
Thing is, the wax has some very tiny bubbles in it, which I am not too concerned about, the real problem is that there are alot of 'bits' in the wax, which won't melt, the liquid however, is very clear, not cloudy, but it has taken some colour from the wax, as I believe it should be 100% clear, but it's very slightly green.
Also, the wax is melting too quickly, like its lighter than it should be, and not blobbing off in the same way as my perfect 'Jet' I have already.
Anyone know how I can get all the wax to melt? And what makes the wax melt in this different way?
Please?!! :(

Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Lucy. Welcome to the OG!
I am familiar with that "condition" (with the flakes and bubbles) but I don't know what causes it and I doubt it is related to the heat level (bulb.) To me, it sounds like the max has separated. If you are unhappy with it, I suggest you send it back because I've never heard of this problem fixing itself. I wish I could be more helpful.
See you around,
MG
Thanks for that Mark, hmmm... I will persevere with it for a bit though, always keen to solve a problem!
I'll post again to let you know if I fixed it!
Great site BTW :)
Well... i've taken the liquid out, then I re-heated the wax til I could pour it out into a pan. As soon as I poured the wax out, the bubbles seemed to dissapear. I kept the bottle warm, and put the wax back in, and heated it via the base.
I wouldn't say the bubbles have completely gone, but they are now so small that I don't think they will be too noticable.
Also, the flakes dissapeared. I am now cooling the wax before I put the liquid back in. Hopefully, the wax will cool without any flakes and bubbles in.
At this stage, it's looking hopefull, but I am prepared for the wax not to work properly once I have put the liquid back and heated again.
Fingers crossed!
Well... it didn't make it much better, but it's no worse, so thats something!
I'll keep trying!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service