Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Per a reply I made to someone else on OG, I thought I'd post here...

This is a very rare Series 300 "Spire" model, by Starbright Lighting, circa 1967, in the rare green color. It's lost a bit of fluid, but it still flows (slowly). Have a look at the photo below, then read the next post.

Views: 73

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As to the above info: true or false? It certainly SOUNDS cool. I'm sure Starbright Lighting made other models - anyone got any futuristic-60s homemade or modded lamps?
It's a custom thing I built. I found the bottle in a thrift store (I'd seen them before). I drilled the base on one side, installed a cord and the smallest C7-size socket I could find, and filled it with cheap knockoff glitter fill. I didn't have enough to fill it up, but I think it looks like it evaporated. And I usually don't like the clear irridescent glitter, but here I think it looks like the French lamps in which the liquid eats the silvering off the glitter. If anyone else makes one, use the smallest C7 bulb you can get, no more than 7 watts, and put a cone of aluminum foil in around it - it'll act as a reflector, but also it'll prevent the bulb from melting a dent in one side of the base, like mine did at first. Expect slow action, not Wizard-like swirls, and please don't use "fast action" solvent fluids in these.

No, no, I swear this is a Starbright Lighting series 300! The Spire is a rare lamp! Rare, I tell you!

Yes, it was a liquor bottle. For what brand or type I have no idea, but I suspect bourbon whiskey, the American beverage for which nearly every distiller came up with a million different decanters to sell to "collectors". Jim Beam was famous for this.
Hi guys - if I am understanding correctly (what you're talking about) - there's one of these spire looking containers right now on eBay. Here's the eBay item #: 330165217253. It's a "Buy It Now" - for about $26 including shipping - at least to the USA) and the seller has another one that they're keeping for now (but you might be able to talk them into selling it). Best of luck - 1st come, etc.
Jen P.
Hi guys - if I am understanding correctly (what you're talking about) - there's one of these spire looking containers right now on eBay. Here's the eBay item #: 330165217253. It's a "Buy It Now" - for about $26 including shipping - at least to the USA) and the seller has another one that they're keeping for now (but you might be able to talk them into selling it). Best of luck - 1st come, etc.
Jen P.
Good for you DJTrevrok! That was fast! Glad that one of us oozers got it. (I did specifically respond to your reply, since you sounded like you were on the hunt for one). You'll have to ask the seller if they'll part with the other one. Not sure if you're making your own, but you guys are way more advanced than me! Glad to have been of service. Oh by the way, I just posted a searching for florence art co. vintage glitters if you have any to sell or ever see any, I'd really appreciate it if you'd let me know!!!
Cheers,
Jen P.
Oh by the way, if you can/do get the other one, maybe Astrobaby would be interested.

Thanks.

Jen P.
Hi Jonas,

I didn't read all the way through all of these about the spire model. I happened to see one of these for sale on eBay and posted it. Someone else grabbed it quickly. Are you still looking for these? Did you ever find out what was in it originally? I found a website that has some info.:

http://www.bottlebooks.com/federal_law_prohibits_.htm

Look at the top re: "Federal law prohibits...." I already emailed the author and asked about this bottle. If it's in their book, I can look up the information at the library. I didn't realize you may still be trying to find one - if so, please let me know. Also, you may want to talk to DJTrevrok to see if he talked the seller into selling him the second one. If not, you could try to get it from the seller yourself. Sorry about that. But I am going to try to get you that other thing we talked about (that I might be able to trade you for your blue Florence Art #2). I'll let you know what happens.
Best,
Jen P.
Seems this is an Old Forrester whiskey bottle. Most bottles made for liquor were marked "Federal law prohibits..." as in the link - what's funny is that many were, well, not re-used, but bought new and used for something other than liquor. What?

...Lava-Simplex's square Mystique and oval Continental lamps! Some have the "Federal Law prohibits..." embossing, others simply read "liquor bottle", and all have the volume markings.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service