Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Can anyone identify these? - Updated with new photos

Hello, I am clearing my lamps out as I find them lurking in the loft, and I have found two that I'm not sure about. I thought one may be a Crestworth Hunter but the top seems wrong. The other one is a complete mystery to me. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone. The unusual lamp appears to have raised a bit of interest, and even I'm interested now!! I have attached a few photos for those who asked, and those that didn't. Either French or Gemlite seems to be the most popular choices so far, but the photos may help some more. Off to try and get some more oil ... read thread further down to find out why ... bye for now xx

Views: 199

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

absolutely no idea i'm afraid, but i'd love to see pics of them in flow, particarly the square one.
Most interesting!
Just looked at the base of the glass of the one that resembles the Hunter, and it has "UK Reg No 17". Just in case it means anything to anyone ...
I'll get them fired up and take photos to post, thanks.
The first one is called a 'Hunter' but i don't think they sold them with that brand name. There were several variations of shape for base and top but the vase i think, was always the same size. The company ceased trading in the 70's to my knowledge. They are nice lamps and fairly collectable today.

The second lamp is a complete mystery to me but very interesting. Looks like it may be from France. I think this would get a lot of interest if you put it up for sale.

Regards
Jerome
What should the bulb holder be? It currently has a bakelite holder, but I'm presuming that it can't be right as it doesn't really fit in it? I'll work at getting photos of them working. No names of marks on the square looking one. The glass isn't straight on teh square one, it has groove type pattern in the glass.
The second one looks French to me. There seems to be a unlimited number of designs from France.
I concur that the second may very well be French. Fog and I've seen countless shapes: square, oval, lozenge, round, rectangular, trapezoid; with bases of brushed steel, patterned steel, painted colors, wrinklepaint or enamel, marble, stone and wood; with globes crinkled, dimpled, grooved and decorated, showing open like this one or hidden behind metal with oval, round, trangular or other holes.

Yeah, the first is a Hunter, unrelated to Crestworth - they were a late 60s/early 70s UK-produced knockoff. These were sold as a lava lamp (the Sata-Lite) or glitter lamp, usually with thin, curved shreds of glitter in yellow, amber, orange or red liquid (the Sata-Glitterlite). There were six or more base variants in three finishes (pale copper, red copper, and rare silver) and three cap designs. The lava models have liquid-when-cold "oil" lava and, thus, are usually very cloudy. Don't open the glitter ones - the liquid is nasty - and use very low wattage bulbs. Even 7-10 watts will run these very well, same for French glitters.
I did wonder if the square one may be a GemLite? I've taken loads of photos of it now, and will start a new thread in a few days when I can, just for this lamp alone. I wish to sell it on eBay, and I don't wish to either sell it incorrectly mislead anyone, or loose money on it either! Thanks for all your help so far everyone.
Hi, regarding replacing the liquid fluid ..... my wee 3 year old decided to give the bottle a shake this afternoon as I dismantled it to take lots of photos to post on here. What a nightmare, as its now cloudy!!! Anyway, my sister had tipped out some of the fluid years ago, and topped it up with water hoping I hadn't noticed, so no real harm done as I would need to change it anyway, and presumably because of the water, it wasn't moving around the bottle. The question (eventually) is, what is the fluid I'm looking for?
Oh, thanks. Much easier than I thought.
more photos
Attachments:
By replaced with water, do you mean the glitter, or the copper lava?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service