Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Years before I discovered Lava Lamps, back in the 70's when I was but a nipper, I used to collect light bulbs. I had a collection numbering nearly 200 but gradually stopped collecting them in favour of collecting automotive literature. I still collect the odd spent bulb from my lamps (okay all of them really!)

My other lighting obsessions included an absolute fascination with flourescent lights (especially in the school room and gas filling stations) and lamp posts/street lighting.

I wonder if anyone else had similar non-LL light fixations or collections?

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I collect a number of lighting devices:

Light bulbs - mainly of two types: Balafire or Wild Flicker bulbs, in which the extra-strength carbon filament oscillates wildly due to interference between the AC current and a magnet, mounted either inside the bulb, on a metal ring fitted to the top, or glued to the side; and Aerolux and other "glow lights", which contain shaped metal filaments that glow in bright colors due to neon, argon etc. gas and colored phosphors. These often take the shape of animals, religious symbols, advertisements, cartoon characters, and flowers. The flickering orange "flicker flame" bulbs are a type of glow light.

Rain lamps: those 60s and 70s lamps which use a pump to send mineral oil flowing down strands of monofilament line. The oil forms beads or droplets which simulate a slow-motion rainfall. I don't pick these up unless they're really, really inexpensive and in good condition, as they're a pain in the ___ to clean and/or repair. They're also dust magnets.

I also collect vintage light fixtures (not fluorescents, though some of the older, more decorative fluorescent ceiling fixtures are really wonderful) and old lighting catalogs.
I also collect Spaghetti Lamps. If you don't know what they are, do a search on eBay for them sometime. I only collect one company that made very bizarre ones that look like alien flowers from a a 50's science fiction movie. I have yet to find out the name of the company. The lamps are large (table versions are about 3-4 feet tall and wide, floor versions are 5-6 feet and wider) and I have about a dozen of them. I don't think I could fit any more in my apartment, but if one comes up on eBay that I have to have, then I have to have it.

I was also obsessed with finding a Sputnik hanging lamp that had a lot of arms. Low and behold about 10 years ago on eBay I found one with 72 arms (each taking a bulb on the end). It's huge and hanging proudly.
Bryin, if by 'spaghetti' you mean the ball (or other form) of colored plastic spaghetti that looks like it was sprayed over a balloon or other form, I have one you might like - though maybe not, as it's just an orange sphere. What makes it cool is that the 12" or so sphere has a light socket built inm, with a screw base on top. Put in a bulb, screw the whole unit into any bare socket, and get a neat lamp! I don't really have a use for it...
Jonas - That is the lamp type that I'm talking about, but my collection is strictly the table and floor lamps that make them look like flowers. I promise to put up some pics of them, too, so you have more of an idea of the ones I collect. I also have small collections of Majestic Lamps and Moss Lamps. Both from the 50's. One of my favorite lamp collections (did somebody say obsessive?) is my Weinberg Guitar Lamp Collection.
Okay, I posted a ton of photos of some of my other lighting obsessions. There are more, but this gives you a good idea. Believe it or not, I've cut down quite a bit and have been able to get rid of 2 storage spaces! Check out some of the pics under my name and let me know what you think.
Great pics Bryin

Thanks for posting

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service