Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

HI to everybody.

First of all I'd like you to confirm what I understood: that golden centuries are rarer than silver ones.
Then the following:
Is there some combinations of colors that are rare than others among the centuries?
whwere I can find a catalogue of the century color combos?
How rarer are the midnight centuries compared to the golden centuries?
are the centuries rarer than the aristocrats (gold)?
bye

Views: 307

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Colors: Brass-based Centuries were in production from the very late 1960s (before that, they were pale copper) until 2003. The brass Century with the screw-on cap is the most common of all Lava Lites. Uncommon colors are ORANGE/yellow (switched to blood-red by the early 1970s) and GREEN/blue (switched to cream, same time). Copper-finished bases are very uncommon-- they have an inner cylinder attached to the top half of the base, which will slide part-way out if lifted.

Aristocrats are slightly less common-- Midnight Aristocrats are MUCH less common, especially with screw-on caps. The black Aristocrats were first introduced as a Target-only model in yellow/blue or yellow/purple. The rarest are the high-waist Aristocrats from the early 70s (with a taller, narrower upper cone) and the Commander, a short-lived early-70s matte-black version.

Silver appeared in 1997, then black, and both had screw-on caps for a bit before 52oz. lamps transitioned to crimped caps. These were also produced, as far as I know, until 2003. Both are uncommon, though more so with screw-on caps.

In 1997, screw-cap silver came in red/yellow, white/blue, pink/pink, red/clear, blue/clear, purple/clear and black/clear. Screw-cap black came in these plus pink/clear and dark green/clear. Screw-cap, 52oz. pink/pink or white/pink, red/yellow, and blue/clear seem to me to be less common.

Crimped-cap black, silver and brass Centuries aren't rare, though I think brass ones with crimped caps are less common than black or silver.

The truly rare Centuries are models like the ceramic-base type (one known to exist), the early models with a heat sensor in the base (zero known to exist), and the very early models with no seam in the base's pinch, a switch on the base, and liquid-when-cold lava (possibly one known to exist).

Jonas - thanks for all this info. You answered a lot of questions I had as well.

Glad to put it out there.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2019   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service