Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I believe I scored a clear/chocolate globe today.

I went into a Strawberry AlarmClock store today and as I was heading into the store I noticed a clear/black Midnight sitting there flowing. It looked clear/black and I thought it was a China globe. I got curious and asked the guy if he would take a look at the bottle cap and see if it said Lava Lite or of it had a sticker on it.
He said "It says Lava Lite." I asked how much he wanted for it because I wanted to buy it. He told me their regular price was $24.99. I was STILL gonna buy it for that price no problem because I have been looking for a clear/black Lava Lite globe for the longest. Then he drops the price down to $20 since it has been there for awhile. Even better.

We let it sit for a little bit to let the lava settle while he gets a box ready. Not original, but that's ok.

When I get it home, I turn it on and as it is flowing, I notice that the wax is not as dark as it was in the store. Something with the light I guess. The wax looks like dark chocolate in the globe. No the pigment has not bled into the liquid. The wax is just not really black.

Is this an actual clear/chocolate??
I am curious because I have wanted one of those too since they are kind of .....accidental?

Any extra information would help a lot.

I know I have collected lava lamps for over 8 years now, but I still don't know everything. heeheh. I just need more info.

I will post pics when I get my digital camera back.

W_J

P.S. I should mention that it might NOT be a genuine Midnight. The base was made in China. But by the flow of the globe I know at least the globe is a pre-china.

Views: 144

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So what is the story again as to how they produced the Chocolate wax? By accident? Thanks......
Interesting....thank you for the info Bohdan. I never knew that they were made on purpose.

The color of mine compared to yours in the pic you attached to your message is way different. Yours is a lighter shade than mine. Yours looks almost like milk chocolate and mine looks like dark chocolate.

I finally got my digital camera back and I will take a pic of it once it gets good and going.

W_J
i would love to get my hands on one of these
I finally have a pic of my newest globe. The picture is surprisingly close to the color in person.

W_J
Attachments:
Mine is definitely not totally black. If I look at my clear/black China and this one, the colors are different. The black in the U.S.A. globe does not look like dark chocolate...instead it looks like a charcoal black. maybe it is just a clear/black. Even if it is, I still really like it.

Here are a couple of pics of it cold.

W_J
Attachments:
Here are a couple of pics of my globe warming up.

W_J
Attachments:
You really think so??
That is really neat. I really enjoy the look of the lava as it looks like dark chocolate.

I am very glad I went to that store when I did and scored this lamp!

Thank you lots for the info, Bohdan!

W_J

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service