Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I'm an amateur haha. My lava lamp got messed up and "lava" stuck to one spot, ALL of it. And it didn't move.So it's been in my closet for 2 years maybe more. So I was bored and pulled it out. I found a love for it when I was laying in a beanie bag listening to homesick alien ( BEST LAVA MUSIC). So I was tampering with it and dropped it, then the cap busted off. So I've been doing everything to make it useable but Im no expert. Finally I completely washed out the globe. It's a pretty big lamp but it's not like a grande or anything. It's made by hot rock company if anyones curious. So basically I got to make a mixture. It would help if I had one on one instruction. Basically I have mineral oil and LOTS of paraffin as well as rubbing alcahol and so on. I was looking at the patent ingredient and was wondering what role tetra chloride plays. Also what should I use as the slip material. And last but not least how should I put it all together

Views: 178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Did the goo come out too? Well, i've never tried the mineral oil and alcohol mixture but I've read it is that simple. Just mix the two. I could be wrong though. I haven't tried it just because it is so flammable. If you are working with the original goo I can help with your water mixture. I've been fiddling with my lamps for a while now, so just let me know. If you really like the base you could just buy a lava world lamp from walmart, target or spencers and transfer. I had a hot rock lava lamp and the lava never seemed to work right so I emptied it and took the lava from an 8 ounce (target) and a 20 ounce (walmart) and started over. I liked the base so it was totally worth the hassle. It works great. Good luck, luckily your ingredients for alcohol and mineral oil are cheap so if you mess up you can just try again!
Thanks for the quick reply and insight. I decided to wash out the wax to because since it had been stuck to the side I just wanted to completely start over. Thanks for that about mineral oil being flamable because it makes since now but I didn't even acknowledge it. The recipe I'm refering to is the first patent under the patent recipe. It says use a combo of mineral oil, Paraffin wax, and tetra chloride. For the water use rubbing alcahol and for the effect of weight to make it better add more wax or add water to the rubbing alcahol. Wat I was thinking of doing is getting a pot and putting a block of parafin wax in it on the stove. When it melts I can add the oil based ink and maybe mineral oil but I'm scared to add the mineral oil. After it's melted and all mixed up I will put a funnel at the top of the lava globe and slowly pour the liquid GOO in the globe. Then I will probably wait till it dries before I add the "water" actually rubbing alcahol. I don't know anything about lava making except the recipe listed but I am great at problem solving and just kinda made up this process because it's logical. But I'm wondering what the purpose of the tetra chloride is and if it can be left out or replaced. Also the recipe describes use of slip agent. I really want to use one after having my lava stick to the side. So wat can I use as a "Slip Agent". Thanks again for the insight though and I'm sure you will have a good follow up to my specifications
I don't know what the tetra chloride is for. I think a slip agent is probably a soap of some kind. This can be tricky because a lot of dish soaps will cloud the water after a day of being on. I am currently trying Suave shampoo(clear). So far so good. I didn't wake up this morning to a cloudy globe. I also have tried just an antibacterial handsoap. It seems to work too. It really helps to add soap so it doesn't stick and also it weighs the wax down so you can get more bubbles. Good luck with your recipe. I'm not good at the goo part so I'll be anxious to hear how it turns out!
yeah, thanks for the advice on the soap cause that would have been bad to have restart with a new mix after it clouded. I would have use palmolive but I used it a while ago as a first attempt and it clouded so bad that I couldn't see through to the other side. My neighbor has some tetra chloride but it's EXTREMELY EXPLOSIVE. I repeat not flamable but EXPLOSIVE. I don't know why they say it is made from flamable and explosive materials. I'm to scarred to put that stuff in so I'm going to try straight up paraffin with alcahol and anti-bacterial and possibly Suave clear. Thanks and I'll post how it turns out though it may be a while till I get to create it
I believe the carbon tet is used to 'weigh' down the wax. Retro's formula replaces it with nonflammable perchlorethylene, or PERK. The best substance I found to use as a surfactant, or slip agent, is Softsoap clear hand soap, but a VERY small amount is needed, mixed one drop in a cup of clear water, and add 1tsp at a time until flow is perfected(takes hours). I use a bulb dropper for this, and also getting the salt/water mix right. I've never had any good results from using mineral oil in the lava. Read Retro's formula and go from there. The only things Retro leaves out are: how to get your lava opaque(solid color), and how to make it flow smoothly(not just making round blobs). Wish I knew how these are done!
I believe I know a guy named jim beam, have you ever been to NC or BELIZE in your life
Not my real name. Sorry! Just one of my favorite beverages :)
haha yeah

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service