Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Let's post some pics of our goo kits!!

My Blue Grande

My Orange Grande

My Purple / White Grande

Views: 11973

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chuck, I weigh my wax out cold and use 225 grams for my 52 oz'ers.  I've done 4 so far and haven't had problems with any.  The white stuff in your liquid is pieces of wax.  That goes away after a few runs.  I think when the wax breaks up in the beginning runs the air bubbles cause tiny pieces to get into the liquid.  I've found with several runs, this dissipates.  Also, you REALLY need to start with clean globes.  What I thought were clean, ended up having to be regoo'd due to streaky glass and haze in the liquid.  I did get some horrible globes to start with though.  I've since use a long and vigorous straight up acetone rinse and then more hot water and dawn to ensure that there is no trace chemical left.  A few of my kits when I first turned them on after the first run seemed hazy, but after running them, that has also cleared up.  I guess they have to "settle" down.  You have to realize that there is a lot of air that also is involved in the goo as well as the liquid, so that has to kind of work it's way out.  I've panicked and changed liquid, but have found if you wait it out for a few runs, it works it's way out on it's own.  I've even had some stuck wax on the globe from swapping out the fluid and the stupid goo puck dislodged and slid down the globe side!!  That too melts off after a few runs.

Surf:  I add 15 ml's to ALL my 52's and no more.  I DO NOT get flow on a 40 watt bulb.  Not clear, not frosted.  It will just mound on the bottom.  The surf has nothing to do with that.  It's a heat issue.  The newer goo does require more heat, especially the darker colors, but I've noticed in my pastels, they too need a 60 watt with a dimmer.  I use the A15 garage door opener frosted bulbs.  I start them up at full, then depending on the room temp, turn them down when I see my lamps breaking off small globules or goo'ing fast.  Just a tad though.  In the winter in a cooler room I may not have to turn them down as much if at all.  Other then that, is pretty much all I do.  I have found out through experimentation that the flow is more dependent on the heat source then the surf.  I've added a butt ton to a 20 oz just to see, and then redid with little to hardly any and I still got the same flow.  When I upped the wattage of my bulb.....that's when I noticed a difference in flow.

Little Boy Blue & Ms. Pink:

Nice goo kits Carol, the blue and pink lamps are really nice espshaly as the pink is more of a watermelon color raver then bright or more magenta pink witch usually happens.

How did you get the colors - was it just the goo kit dye used.

Yes Tim, just the kit dye.  I went really light but did a blend of red and violet with the pink one.  Barely used any red though.  Then when it wasn't pink enough, I added a couple speaks more of the violet dye and this is the color it came out to be.  I'm really happy with it also!!!!  With the blue, I just added very small amounts at a time until I got the blue I liked.

Love the Orange! 

Marcel said:

My orange Grande:

And my Lunartube:

Love The Wall and Dark Side ones. I'm an Orange freak

Dr. WHAT?! said:

Here are some of my gookits

Well I hope to have pictures posted soon.  All I seem to be getting before dye is just a sphere of clear gel hanging out at the bottom, didn't even spike really, something is off. Side note: The rubber type cork that is used on bottles of Barefoot wine work good as a stopper, no crumbles.

I see some pretty incredible kits and displays here ladies and gents! Digging the shape of that staggered cylinder Dr. What!

Does the food coloring last though? or does the color fade after time?

LampHead said:

McCormick liquid food coloring, available at any food store. Use a drop at a time, most globes only need 1-4 drops to get the color your looking for.

Metallicaman said:

what u use to color the water?

It will eventually fade, but all you have to do is add more food coloring.

Junebug said:

Does the food coloring last though? or does the color fade after time?

LampHead said:

McCormick liquid food coloring, available at any food store. Use a drop at a time, most globes only need 1-4 drops to get the color your looking for.

Metallicaman said:

what u use to color the water?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2020   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service