Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Any idea as to what this motion lamps is called?

Hi, I picked this up at a yard sale today.  It is made in china but there is no id on it.  Works great.  Any ideas as to the name of it?  Did it have a cap?  Thanks, Scott

Views: 387

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think it had a cap and I believe its called a "Geyser Lamp".  Do a search of the site and you will see other examples from fellow members.

No cap. That's a geyser lamp. I've wanted one forever. If you ever sell it, think of me!
Wow that's cool

nice!

Thanks everyone!  Like everything in life, once i find something I've never seen before, i find another then another etc...I talked with somebody who has one and i guess the popularity went bad because they are fragile.  The internal coil breaks and they leak. 

Many of these broke just in shipment to stores! You have the large model, and there was a small model with a black or translucent blue plastic base, which had very little glitter movement. Both models came in three shapes: the tapered one like yours, a football shape, and an hourglass shape.

These are based on vintage 1970s French lamps generically called 'boilers' or 'bubblers.' This variety encased the basic boiler/bubbler inside a glitter lamp, and usually had a metal base, as opposed to many boilers which were formed as one big glass sculpture with integrated base. Here are two different French glitter-boilers, along with an image of some other types: a standard boiler (2), lava-bubbler (3), fountain (4) and double fountain with return pipe (4).

Attachments:

I almost got one, but the seller was too afraid to ship it for that very reason. I'm still after one though...

Scott said:

Thanks everyone!  Like everything in life, once i find something I've never seen before, i find another then another etc...I talked with somebody who has one and i guess the popularity went bad because they are fragile.  The internal coil breaks and they leak. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service