Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hello. Did any of you guys get a replacement base for your colossus that uses the new R-40 bulb? What was your experience? I have had a hard time getting it to flow properly. In the new base the bulb sits way low inside it so at first it took days just to get a trickle of a flow so I steadily added bulb extenders. The first one raised the bulb 1 inch and it was not enough. So I replaced that one with one of those adapters that that has plugs on 2 sides (walmart) so you can plug something in at the bulb socket. This brought the bulb up to the same location of the original base with the R-30. It now starts flowing in about 12 hours but it doesn't really take off like the old base used to (Thank goodness i stil have a bub for the old base).  Do you think the bulb  extender I used is not letting the bulb work properly? Any advice.

Views: 338

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is the bulb the same wattage as the original? I wonder if you can add some hardware like a longer screw rod thingy to help it sit close to the globe without the use of a extender.
To me it sounds like your bulb isnt the right wattage or it is not close enough to the globe. You might also try making a funnel out of aluminum foil kind of like the heat rings that some centuries come with. How much smaller is your other light bulb than the one that originally came with the colossus? It might not be wide enough to make the lamp flow properly.
Thanx, for the feedback. I used a bulb supplied be Lava Lite. Without bulb extenders the bulb is like three inches down in the base I added the white extension but got a tricle so I added the brown extension which is actually 2 one inch extenders stacked. I tried those 250 watt clear infrared bulbs. They exploded in about 5 minutes even at one half intensity on the dimmer. It gave me an appreciation of the difficulty Lava Lite has had for making the colossus work. I like the aluminum foil idea!
Well ultimatey I think it was the cold seasonal temps that slowed it down a bit. So here is my configuration that was succesful. I added the 2 brown extenders from hardware store. This put bulb at exaclt the same elevation as the original R-30 bulbs. I moved the lamp to another location in the house and stuck the space heater next to it and bingo! Let flow!
Thanx, I got the heater at the flea market for cheap; 30 bucks and they are cheap (plastic), I thought I could heat up the lava lamp with it. usually it is pointed right at it in an attempt to improve the flow in this cool weather.

Jim said:
Good luck with that heater.  I will never buy a Lazko again.  They only last me a year.  Sweet Collosus though.  :-)

Well I cornered the market on new style base Colossus bulbs today! These were new old stock bulbs sitting in a warehouse USA Made! I bought a few at first to try them out and once I was sure they would work I grabbed them all!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=tru...=

Although I am not the reason Colossus' are not being sold; it seems they only had a limited run of light bulbs available. They are saving the limited amout of bulbs they have for the current owners of this lava lamp. In otherwards get bulbs now before they are gone even for the new style bases! I was told by Lava Lite that they are stil having troubles with finding a reliable supplier.

Yes but I worry that it may be getting too hot then. My favorite flow is hard boiled egg sized blobs. You would be surprised what things can affect the flow like atmoshperic pressure outside temp or even altitude. I wonder if there is a elevation when my lava lamp won't work? Like when water will not boil.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service