Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

anyone ever try to just refill the water in a cloudy but working 32 oz globe?

I tried it with distilled water and surfactant (10ml) and it did not work.  the wax got really oily and sat at the bottom.  anyone know why?  I got a goo kit and am going to try to do the whole thing now.  I think the surfactant must have affected the wax and made it more miscible...  I think if I try it again I will chill the wax before replacing the surf/water.  

do you all add the wax dye in the globe or in a pan when regooing?  it make sense to add it to the plastic bottle it comes in , but thought I would make different colors.  I have a few empty globes. any help appreciated.  thanks!!

keith

Views: 199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well with surf and water only it wont flow - you need to add Epsom salts or propane glycol to make the water more dense in order for it to flow.

I haven't heard about the wax becoming oily before - what do you mean?

You don't have to chill the wax in order to replace the water - just ensure that the wax is fully hardened.

I add the colour when the wax has been poured - that way the right colour and wax is used, a full quart of wax isn't needed for 1 32oz globe. You could probably get another 2-3 globes from it, a full quart is only needed for a grande - this is probably the only time to add the colour in the bottle then pour it into the globe.

I know it will do several smaller globes.  I have several old empty wizards and a few 52 oz century type globes and one totally empty consort which will be a separate issue.  so if you use the original wax, you have to use the ingredients you listed and not just the surfactant?  and, if you use the goo kit and replacement wax that comes with it, you just use the surfactant and distilled water?   is this what you are saying?  

and for coloring each globe separate, you mix the dye in the globe after pouring the white wax into the globe?  I have a saturna and want to do it in the orig red/clear but have an old century that would be fun to do it in green.  the kit came with several colors.   

in answer to you question, when I said it looked oily, it seemed like the wax took on a quality of having a slightly different specific gravity than water.  a very liquid like quality unlike the globular waxy consistency  it was.  I suspect the surfactant made it a more polar solution. 

ok best,

keith

if you use the original wax, you have to use the ingredients you listed and not just the surfactant?

That is true but i would recommend using either propane glycol (PG) or Epsom salts. I have used salts before and its fine but those who have used PG the results can be a lot better - the idea of these is to increase the water density to higher then the wax so the wax will rise.

If your using a goo kit then use the method suggested - you only need DI water

you mix the dye in the globe after pouring the white wax into the globe?

Yea exactly - I find this is the best method

I see what you mean about the wax being oily - surf brakes down the wax so I see what you mean, that what I would expect.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service