Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hi,
it would be interesting to know the capacity of each bottle.
So could anyone complete this:

MATHMOS:

-Lunar: 4.5 liter
-Fluidium:
-Astro:
-Jet:
-Telstar/Baby Astro:
-Fireflow: 250ml

Thanks

Views: 1765

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok I know that the jet and astrobaie bottles have the same volume the astro is 52oz so that is 1 leter 53ml as for the astrobabie and fludium I dont know yet but I could let you know the volume of a astrobabie when I redo one at some point.

Are you sure Astrobaby=Jet?

Because while looking at them side by side, the jet seems bigger to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

Yea i am sure they are the same volume, it is what I have heard from hear. Your right jet bottle is slightly taller then the astrobabie bottle but the astrobabie bottle is wider at the base so that probably makes up for it.

I havent done a fluid swap on them so cant say 100% but I am verry sure they are the same volume.

Astralav said:

Are you sure Astrobaby=Jet?

Because while looking at them side by side, the jet seems bigger to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks Tim.

this is really an optical trick as I just checked again the 2 bottles side by side.

The Astrobaby (Telstar in my case) is only larger at the middle, all the rest is smaller.

Now I've done the fluid swap.

After I poured the content of one astrobay into a jet bottle, there was still 1cm without liquid under the top cap.

So, the astrobaby contain less liquid than a Jet. (not much, but less anyway)

can't complete is like you want it but I can give you this:
jet=astrobaby~700ml
fluidium=1xastro for fluid,~1,8 for wax
lunar=4astro or 700gramm for wax 3 for fluid
fireflow sucks...but if you have to then the amount left when doin a fluidium from 2 astros is about the amount you need...but honestly...they suck
for metallics its just a bit less wax no matter which size, otherwise they wont flow properly.
for a glitterball lunar you need 4 bottles for wax, rest glycerine...thats all I got
just read your comment. seems you got a crestworth jet style bottle. they are a tad wider and I guess they take a bit more fluid. I have a steel jet replica and some old bottles dont fit, so I'm sure there are wider ones even thiu mathmos declines. anyway, the newer ones are exactly the same amount as astrobaby...100% sure, did a lot of refills.

Yes it is a Crestworth, but...

I've got a modern Mathmos Jet Bottle (plastic cap) which only shows 1mm of empty space under a Crestworth cap.

So this maybe the difference between a Mathmos and a Crestworth bottle.

With the babyglitter content in the Crestworth bottle, there is 1cm difference! (and the astrobaby was full).

I will check tomorrow 2 empty bottles with water, so we'll now for sure.

The generally accepted formula is a ratio of 80/20. That is, whatever the capacity of the bottle is, 80% of it will be liquid and 20% will be the wax.

Hence, following the metric system, on a 4.5 liter lamp, we are dealing with 4500 milliliters. That is 3600 (or 3.6 liters) of water and the balance will be the wax.

If your question is concerned with the general capacity, a quick Google search ought to provide the info.

For instance, the  Fluidium lamp weighs in at 3.8kg, for the entire thing. The bottle is likely 3.5kg of the total, since the rest of the lamp is plastic and most likely accounts for the 300g difference to the 3.8kg. total.

Likewise with the Astro, total weight 2.95kg, bottle is likely 2.5kg and so on...

Right now, I don't have an empty Crestworth jet, but I have an empty early Mathmos Jet.

I just tried to fill it with an astrobaby bottle, and yes it goes to the top.

So I don't know why my glitterbaby was a little short on liquid when I poured it in my Crestworth Jet...

the ratio isnt constant. the early crestworth and also lava lite bottles had less wax , there is a comparison pic somewhere on this forum.

Morbius said:

The generally accepted formula is a ratio of 80/20. That is, whatever the capacity of the bottle is, 80% of it will be liquid and 20% will be the wax.

Hence, following the metric system, on a 4.5 liter lamp, we are dealing with 4500 milliliters. That is 3600 (or 3.6 liters) of water and the balance will be the wax.

If your question is concerned with the general capacity, a quick Google search ought to provide the info.

For instance, the  Fluidium lamp weighs in at 3.8kg, for the entire thing. The bottle is likely 3.5kg of the total, since the rest of the lamp is plastic and most likely accounts for the 300g difference to the 3.8kg. total.

Likewise with the Astro, total weight 2.95kg, bottle is likely 2.5kg and so on...

Yep, I can clarify that an astro baby bottle takes 700ml as I needed to know how much volume to try my slow glitter trial as I believed it was a 3:1 ratio of water to propylene glycol. FAIL. The trials continue...........

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service