Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I recently got a blue/white swirl base with a clear/blue globe. There was some rust on the cap of the globe, which I figured wasn't really a big deal, it looked like it was just at the surface. Turns out, it probably is a big deal. I noticed a slight chemical odor at the top of the lamp, and it seems the level of the fluid drops ever so slightly after each run. It (rather obviously) must be leaking. I don't really want to go out and buy a capper if I don't have to, but if that ends up being the only option then I guess i'll do it. Is anyone of you who already has a capper located near Philadelphia, PA? Also, if i need to get my own, what models/brands/etc has had the most success?

In the meantime, what should I do to prevent it from losing even more fluid? I assume not running it is chief on that list...

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cover it with a tight seal.
Perhaps a piece of balloon or rubber glove. At the very least saran wrap it and rubber band it really tight.
Anything to stop gaseous particles of the liquid from escaping.

Jester
I cut a rubber glove and rubber banded that over the top. It is currently running, and I don't notice the smell anymore. That might have done it as is, but I'll also check out the cappers forum if I can ever find it. Is it on this site? I put a tiny dot on the globe with a sharpie so I can track if the fluid level is dropping anymore. Sharpie is easy enough to remove, so I figured that was a smart move.
I found the discussion on cappers. I guess you really like the hammer one? It looks like it might be a lot cheaper and a lot easier to store. I'm just a bit concerned about shattering the globe. There are a couple dings in the glass of this one, since its used I don't know if it was dropped or just came that way. In any case, it needs to be re-capped, at least for peace of mind.
Rubber, due to long periods of exposed to heat, will dry out and cause deterioration. I have used RTV on my motorcycle where the head is intense. RTV will give you an airtight seal and eliminate the need for a capper.

That should outlast the Lava Lamp (maybe not)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2020   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service