Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Broken globe on torchiere floor lamp! Please help me find a suitable replacement!

Greetings everyone!  (This is my first post)

I have a torchiere floor lamp that I got from Walmart a few years ago and absolutely love it.  It's the same model as this one:

(picture credit goes to "Mr MaGoo" https://oozinggoo.ning.com/photo/torchiere-floor-lamp?context=user)

I'll spare you the story of how it happened, but the top of my globe is now broken and I need to find a replacement.  It doesn't have to be the same model or even functional (I can gookit it), just as long as it fits.  I also don't mind if the replacement globe flares out on the sides, as long as it sits securely in the socket.  Fitting into the decorative plastic top cone would be a plus, but is not essential.  One more important note: it's not shown in the pictures, but there is a metal arm that holds up the top portion of the lamp, so the globe is not structural to the torchiere.

Here are the measurements of the original globe:

-Width of base:  2 and 7/8 inches / 7.3 cm

-Depth of the lamp "socket" that holds it above the bulb: 5/8 inches / 1.5 cm

-Height of globe (including beer bottle-style cap, but not the outer metal cap or decorative cone): 10.5 inches / 26.7 cm

Any ideas?  Is there another, more common model of lava lamp with a globe that would be compatible?

Would a wine bottle work?  It seems to be a fairly common bottle diameter and I've found a couple that might fit, but they would have less capacity than the original and I'm not sure if they're up to the temperature stress.

Thanks!

Shawn

Here's another of Mr MaGoo's pictures showing the shape of the globe:

Views: 5481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have four of them. Want one?

That would be absolutely amazing!  Thank you!

I've sent you a friend request here on the site so we can use the private messaging function to coordinate details.

Also, would you mind telling me how hot the bulb that came with these lamps is?  I think mine first started experiencing problems when the bulb died and I put in a 40W replacement (the only bulb of that size/shape I found) and only later found a Lava-branded 25W model.

Thanks again!

Hi. I have the same lamp. I got it at a yard sale few years back.The socket for the top light was over heated and broke. I found the socket at a local lighting shop. Now what I need is, where do the 3 wires hook up to the switch.

I've got one of these too...I might be interested in a "spare" globe if any are still available.  This one is still good so far, flows well and is clear.  I actually remember taking the 1st one of these back because the wax started to stick to the sides after a few months of use...was surprised Walmart took it back but they did and they still had them so I got a 2nd one because it was unique.  This one's been going good for years, although I don't use the lava part much, I do use the main light daily. 

Never saw anything like this again anywhere either after that 1 year at Walmart. 

Well if any of you could take a peak at the 3 wires hooking up to the 3 way switch, and write where they go, 3 colors, but all same type of wire, for all 3, aluminum wires. 1. black, 1. white, and 1 red. the switch has 1 silver, 1. brass, with brass screw. 1 brass with silver screw. Plz, post info if any one could. Would be very much appreciated and I think there at least 1 other out there that was trying to wire his for just one light, I want mine the way it was first wired.. Thanks.

Jeff said:

I've got one of these too...I minght be interested in a "spare" globe if any are still available.  This one is still good so far, flows well and is clear.  I actually remember taking the 1st one of these back because the wax started to stick to the sides after a few months of use...was surprised Walmart took it back but they did and they still had them so I got a 2nd one because it was unique.  This one's been going good for years, although I don't use the lava part much, I do use the main light daily. 

Never saw anything like this again anywhere either after that 1 year at Walmart. 

White goes to the silver terminal w/ silver screw.  Black to the brass terminal w/ brass screw, and red to the brass terminal w/ silverish screw.  Tried to get pics...but they aren't the best.  I'm glad you responded back and I decided to take mine apart tonight... was thinking of doing it on the weekend maybe for you but decided what the heck might as well do it now.  Anyway in the process I discovered my white wire was loose, so I'm glad I did take it apart and fixed that before it caused a fire or something.

Attachments:

Shawn, I'm pretty sure the original bulb was a 40 watt "golf ball" bulb.  Lava actually has one that looks like it.  Should be a sticker inside where the globe goes but I'm pretty sure it was a 40 watt globe, aka golf ball bulb.  I know it definitely was not a mini spot bulb or anything, and I don't think it was 25 watt.  The globe isn't the easiest thing to get out or I'd take mine out and see what's in there now...but to be safe I suggest starting with a 25 watt...if it doesn't flow after several hours then go to the 40.  It definitely was NOT higher than a 40 watt.  Always best to start out too low than too high.

Thanks for the info Jeff!

Jeff Neely was kind enough to send me one of his spare lamps,but I haven't had the time to clean it out and gookit it yet (it was burned-out by a too-hot bulb, but I'm still immensely grateful to have an intact globe to work with!) .  When I do, I'll definitely try it with the 25 watt first.

Rocky, good luck with the repair on yours!

Jeff said:

Shawn, I'm pretty sure the original bulb was a 40 watt "golf ball" bulb.  Lava actually has one that looks like it.  Should be a sticker inside where the globe goes but I'm pretty sure it was a 40 watt globe, aka golf ball bulb.  I know it definitely was not a mini spot bulb or anything, and I don't think it was 25 watt.  The globe isn't the easiest thing to get out or I'd take mine out and see what's in there now...but to be safe I suggest starting with a 25 watt...if it doesn't flow after several hours then go to the 40.  It definitely was NOT higher than a 40 watt.  Always best to start out too low than too high.

My first one kind of cooked itself in short order.  Flowed great the 1st few weeks then wax started to stick, and the flow diminished to basically nothing. This happened w/ the original bulb.  Couldn't have took longer than 2 months since I was still able to exchange it at Walmart for another one.  The 2nd one has been great.  I'm pretty sure I have changed the bulb once though in it...but I'm not sure.  Too much to keep track of anymore now that I work full time....I used to remember things like light bulb changes but not anymore :)

Any Manuals that can be PDFed?

or parts, one may get?

I don't think there was a manual...there might have been a 1 page sheet that had a pic illustrating how to install the globe and the reflector part on top but that was it. 

Did you get yours working?  I posted the wiring last night.

not yet but it is just what I needed to get that part done. Ty. the pole is a bit wobbly like to get spare parts or figger out how to just replace it with some other pole. Guess some drunk fell on it before I got it. ; (

Jeff said:

I don't think there was a manual...there might have been a 1 page sheet that had a pic illustrating how to install the globe and the reflector part on top but that was it. 

Did you get yours working?  I posted the wiring last night.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service