Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Greetings!   I've made some progress on my 4' tall tower lava lamp project.  The base is done, glass vase obtained (nice thick walls), and coupling is done - very secure.   I'm getting ready to mount the 200W spot light (on a dimmer - we will be going at this slowly) in the base and am looking for advice on space between the top of the bulb and the bottom of the glass floor.  In my Magma 3' tower the space is less than 1/2", but that's a pro built lamp with the special low expansion glass, and mine is just normal blown glass.    So, I was thinking an inch, or even two, to lessen the thermal gradients, but wonder if I'll end up struggling to get enough heat to warm up the whole column (5 gallons).

Advice and suggestions welcome!

Todd

Views: 1545

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A GooLamp GL-200 XXL globe is being shipping by Marcel from Germany soon and the build of my 4' orange tower will recommence soon after its arrival!    Base has been modified to accommodate larger diameter and a new brighter (and hotter) 250W floodlight bulb obtained.  Here's hoping!

Hello All, On the topic of Borosilicate glass, I just want to relate my experience. I made a glitter lamp out of a 2000ml Borosilicate glass graduated lab cylinder. I heated it with a clear reflector 100 watt bulb from a Grande lamp. the bulb had a small space between it and the bottom of the cylinder. I wasn't worried about heat because my thinking was that - Borosilicate glass is used over open gas flames in the laboratory. I figured that the gas flame must be hotter than any light bulb could be so I wasn't worried. To my surprise the Borosilicate glass cracked on the bottom and burst after a couple of days. It did flow beautifully when it worked though. I'd appreciate if someone more familiar with physics could explain this to me.

I sure am hoping that will not happen to me again!    $1000 USD in total (globe + shipping + US airport cargo fee) is a lot to pay for a globe.  But going through that wax/glass shards cleanup a 2nd time, and giving up on my dream custom tower lamp, would be much worse.  I'll start with a 1" space for the floodlight and only go closer if I don't get a high enough flow.   

Marcel sent me a short video of a customer's lamp that is essentially my goal, so I know it can be done!

Orange%20Lava%20Tower%20Video.MOV

Here's hoping! 

Todd

My globe just showed up from Adams & Chittenden. After shipping, was just shy of $300.

Also, the lamp in that video looks like its flowing slower? I wonder if it's a thicker fluid than just 70/30 Water/PG. I'll create a new threat for the Titan project. :)

Hi There, What size is this globe you ordered? Volume? Dimensions?

Mattgyver92 said:

My globe just showed up from Adams & Chittenden. After shipping, was just shy of $300.

Also, the lamp in that video looks like its flowing slower? I wonder if it's a thicker fluid than just 70/30 Water/PG. I'll create a new threat for the Titan project. :)

it's the GooLamp GL-200 XXL.  1300mm tall (about 51") and 200mm in diameter (just under 8"), about 10 gallons.  I have 5 quarts of wax from Lava Lab Creations (Claude J) that I've dyed bright orange for it. 

XXL Bottle GL200 200mm (empty) (goolamp.com)

I was actually asking Mattgyver92 what size bottle he ordered for $297

Ah gotcha, sorry. Yes, I'm wondering too.

120mm OD by 500mm height! 80mm opening. Hope that helps. :)

Thanks, I was wondering what size you can get for $300. I see on the invoice it says this is a "prototype". Is this a test and you plan on ordering a larger one if it works out?

Mattgyver92 said:

120mm OD by 500mm height! 80mm opening. Hope that helps. :)

Larger, no. More of the same? Absolutely. I have two similar designs (a torpedo and a satellite) that I hope to make for the trifecta.

That is a lot of money! I hope it works this time for you.

Todd said:

I sure am hoping that will not happen to me again!    $1000 USD in total (globe + shipping + US airport cargo fee) is a lot to pay for a globe.  But going through that wax/glass shards cleanup a 2nd time, and giving up on my dream custom tower lamp, would be much worse.  I'll start with a 1" space for the floodlight and only go closer if I don't get a high enough flow.   

Marcel sent me a short video of a customer's lamp that is essentially my goal, so I know it can be done!

Orange%20Lava%20Tower%20Video.MOV

Here's hoping! 

Todd

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service