Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I bought a pair of this many years ago from UK.  I can't remember what the name or model is.  Can anyone identify this lamp?

 

DSCN0926.JPG

 

Thanks,

dumchidumchi

Views: 295

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A few of us have lamps like that. I've been told they are from either France or Italy. No maker or model is known that I'm aware of. Jonas has a great collage of glitter lamps on here somewhere...

 

Here you go:

http://oozinggoo.ning.com/photo/frenchitalianimagination-1?context=... 

Thanks, Erin.  I'd tried to search the net but couldn't find anything.  From your link, I could see Jonas has a blue color version.  I wonder if Jonas knows anything about this lamp...

He might. He knows more than most of us! To date, I haven't seen any sort of name or company associated with these. I have one like yours, but the top is a little different. Mine used to be teal, but the owner painted it (wish I'd known that before I bought it). 


I'm pretty sure they are from the 70s (ish). I've seen these in several bright colors all with clear liquid and big, metal flake glitter. 

dumchidumchi said:

Thanks, Erin.  I'd tried to search the net but couldn't find anything.  From your link, I could see Jonas has a blue color version.  I wonder is Jonas knows anything about this lamp...

Hi dumchi,

I don't know the lamp, but I did want to request that you upload smaller photos.  That pic is massive in size and we have to pay for extra storage; so it is important that photos are cropped and sized for the internet.

Thanks,

MG

As far as is known, these are inexpensive 1970s Italian lamps. There are three or four base forms, from the most complex one (which you have) to a smooth flare, and six or more cap designs; there are at least three caps with a bulbous top having an ashtray (usually tip, sometimes spin) in them, and some contain not glitter but plastic roses in clear water.

 

My collage shows an orange ashtray and a blue plain. I've seen red, three shades of orange, two shades of yellow, white, three shades of blue, maroon, and black, all but the last one translucent. Some glitters have colored stripes painted under the bottle. They were made very cheaply, so are more likely than other glitters to have the silvering eaten off the plastic glitters. ALL solvent-based glitters CAN have this problem though. Solvent = chlorinated solvent like perchloroethylene; these are not user-friendly, so don't open the lamps, and keep wattages under 10w. If the glass gets broken, open doors and windows and leave until the room airs out, the stuff smells nasty and increased inhalation will make you sick.

 

These were supposedly given away as carnival prizes. They have carried the name, "deadly glitters", due to two accidents: one, a UK boy who drank one, and a French girl whose lamp being used as a night light shattered and filled the room with fumes; regulations over the liquid led to Crestworth's Living Jewel which used trichlorotrifluoroethane, a "comparatively safe" solvent which was still quite nasty.

 

Keep wattage under 10 and don't leave it on 24/7 and you're set. If you get a different glitter and decide to refill, empty the globe outdoors and wear a mask. And don't try to fill with lava; the heat required could melt the base.

 

Sorry about the "More than you ever wanted to know..." rambling. I should make a collage of these guys. The other collage is intended to show a cross-section of the insanely creative world of European glitters.

Hi Mark, I'm sorry for the huge file size...will crop pictures in the future.

Mark Goo said:

Hi dumchi,

I don't know the lamp, but I did want to request that you upload smaller photos.  That pic is massive in size and we have to pay for extra storage; so it is important that photos are cropped and sized for the internet.

Thanks,

MG


Jonas, thanks for the info! 

 

I have two of these...one in Red and the other in Orange/Red.  One came with a 40w bulb and the other came with 25w bulb.  I've never turned them on for more than few hours. 

 


Jonas Clark-Elliott said:

As far as is known, these are inexpensive 1970s Italian lamps. There are three or four base forms, from the most complex one (which you have) to a smooth flare, and six or more cap designs; there are at least three caps with a bulbous top having an ashtray (usually tip, sometimes spin) in them, and some contain not glitter but plastic roses in clear water.

 

My collage shows an orange ashtray and a blue plain. I've seen red, three shades of orange, two shades of yellow, white, three shades of blue, maroon, and black, all but the last one translucent. Some glitters have colored stripes painted under the bottle. They were made very cheaply, so are more likely than other glitters to have the silvering eaten off the plastic glitters. ALL solvent-based glitters CAN have this problem though. Solvent = chlorinated solvent like perchloroethylene; these are not user-friendly, so don't open the lamps, and keep wattages under 10w. If the glass gets broken, open doors and windows and leave until the room airs out, the stuff smells nasty and increased inhalation will make you sick.

 

These were supposedly given away as carnival prizes. They have carried the name, "deadly glitters", due to two accidents: one, a UK boy who drank one, and a French girl whose lamp being used as a night light shattered and filled the room with fumes; regulations over the liquid led to Crestworth's Living Jewel which used trichlorotrifluoroethane, a "comparatively safe" solvent which was still quite nasty.

 

Keep wattage under 10 and don't leave it on 24/7 and you're set. If you get a different glitter and decide to refill, empty the globe outdoors and wear a mask. And don't try to fill with lava; the heat required could melt the base.

 

Sorry about the "More than you ever wanted to know..." rambling. I should make a collage of these guys. The other collage is intended to show a cross-section of the insanely creative world of European glitters.

I like these plastic 'mystery' lamps from the 70's probably.

 

Never been sure of the origin or brand name. I've one in blue.

they look nice but the contents are very toxic

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2020   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service