Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

To really appreciate how incredible this lamp's appearance and performance are, you may want to see the thread Ebayniacs? Anybody? Please help me understand this...

I said I'd post my results, and here they are!

Views: 406

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Having trouble w/youtube for some reason...so maybe this will work:

Attachments:

That is a great flow. That's how I like mine to flow. Love the color too. Exactly, what is that color? Did you add something to the blue dye or is it the fluorescent blue dye?  

Thanks Mattmos!  That is MagmaTower's regular blue dye which despite what you see there in the video, actually is a really cool purple/blue color like this:I just took my time and added the dye little by little, until it landed on a color I really liked.

Here's the video I was trying to show at the start of this thread:

Yea, in the video the goo has a really nice blue look to it. I thought it may have been Magma's fluorescent blue. I still like the purple/blue color also.  

Jus said:

Thanks Mattmos!  That is MagmaTower's regular blue dye which despite what you see there in the video, actually is a really cool purple/blue color like this:I just took my time and added the dye little by little, until it landed on a color I really liked.

I've tried the different settings on my camera, but still can't figure out how to make it produce accurate purple colors, rather than the blue that seems to result...

I like the way the color looks "live or memorex" too.

I'm still amazed this lamp, after being subjected to the amount of Dawn dishsoap and even vigorous agitation it has, looks and works this good.  Crazy!

i like it!

Thanks, Brad!

Hmmmmmmmmm...I thought for sure this thread would elicit a lively discussion from people just as surprised as me that a lamp would work AT ALL after subjecting the wax to over 2.5 ml of Dawn dishsoap!  Or at least some comments from the people who said their goo kit wax wouldn't flow!  Cuz I didn't post the video to brag, but out of sheer amazement!   

I was actually about to ask what your technique was, since my gookits all flow, but nothing that beautiful.  You're using dawn instead of the gookit surfactant?  Any additives?  Epsom salts, and the like?

Well at first I had no flow, so I added epsom salt.  The flow that resulted was jus big, round blobs.  I decided to add a surfactant until the flow got more long and stretchy.  The gookit surf wasn't changing things much, so I tried 2 drops of Simple Green-type degreaser (undiluted).  I really didn't notice any change from that, which blew my mind.  So I switched to Dawn dishsoap (mine is jus the plain blue kind).  At first I added a drop at a time which would cause the wax to get stretchy for a minute or two, but then it would resume the round blobs.  That's when I began really dumping in the soap.   I did shake the whole thing, cool, and dump the water out at one point, and refilled it with tap water and added more epsom salt and again more Dawn.  I think it's safe to say goo kit surf isn't a requirement, cuz the Dawn worked and didn't cloud the water, even after allowing the lamp to cool overnight a couple of times.  I've ruined a few LL china lamps by adding merely a few drops of Dawn, which would cause the wax to start sticking to the glass, also caused the wax to form little pointy tails when blobs separated.  I haven't had any of those problems with the gookit goo.  It is very able to stand up to the dishsoap, at least in this trial...

Yeah, I tried that...things did not go well.  I got cloudy liquid, then it cleared up, then the goo just started climbing the glass, on every side, I finally just dumped it out, refilled it with distilled water, and gookit surf and it's working it's way back to a functioning lamp =P

Jus said:

Well at first I had no flow, so I added epsom salt.  The flow that resulted was jus big, round blobs.  I decided to add a surfactant until the flow got more long and stretchy.  The gookit surf wasn't changing things much, so I tried 2 drops of Simple Green-type degreaser (undiluted).  I really didn't notice any change from that, which blew my mind.  So I switched to Dawn dishsoap (mine is jus the plain blue kind).  At first I added a drop at a time which would cause the wax to get stretchy for a minute or two, but then it would resume the round blobs.  That's when I began really dumping in the soap.   I did shake the whole thing, cool, and dump the water out at one point, and refilled it with tap water and added more epsom salt and again more Dawn.  I think it's safe to say goo kit surf isn't a requirement, cuz the Dawn worked and didn't cloud the water, even after allowing the lamp to cool overnight a couple of times.  I've ruined a few LL china lamps by adding merely a few drops of Dawn, which would cause the wax to start sticking to the glass, also caused the wax to form little pointy tails when blobs separated.  I haven't had any of those problems with the gookit goo.  It is very able to stand up to the dishsoap, at least in this trial...

My grande didn't turn out great! Fun fact about your goo kit color. The human eye can only see primary colors. When we other shades its our brain making up what it thinks is right lol. We all see the same color differently. The cam mite be picking up true color.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service