Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Based upon feedback from the seller, I suspect I was not the only Oozing Goo'er who inquired about the lamp. He said he was amazed by how many interested parties contacted him about it. To put your minds at ease, the lamp is no longer available is it is currently sitting in the bed of my pickup truck. You likely didn't want it anyways as its a Franken-lamp. Came with a Colossus base, but a Humongo globe. Ok, scratch what I said earlier about this being a Franken-lamp; its a Humongo from top to bottom.

Don't feel too bad for me as I already flipped it. Flipped for the same $400 I paid for it + Firkin Burgers for me and my lovely wife + a few beers. Congratulations to Critter on having a winning personality that prompted me to reach out to him and make this happen on his behalf. What a freakin' score and a half!

Views: 1366

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Me too!!!!  Can't wait to see that puppy get fired up!!!

nice score!  don't break this one, ok critter? 

Ooooh Brad. That's just evil! LOL.

I am praying for no explosions. Trust me you don't want to experience that....at least not at 3:35AM.

I suspect Critter's explosive globe may have been a byproduct of shoddy glass manufacturing. If everything I understand about the Humungo is true, Critter should not suffer a similar fate with this globe. Humungo (and Giant) globes were imported from Germany whereas Colossus (and Grande) globes are sourced from China. This is what I am most keen on checking out with this globe - what is the quality of the glass like?

And the real kicker. I think the Humungo globe is true new old stock, and poured in the US. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that they had some leftover Humungo globes as the lamp retailed at like $3500.00. Key difference is the cap. My Colossus cap has printed details, whereas the Humungo is written by hand. I highly doubt they refilled the globe. They would have had to yank the old cap off and why wouldn't they have replaced it with a newer printed Colossus cap?

The proof will be in the pudding and bottom line, who gives a crap if the lamp was filled in China, the US or on the moon. What does it flow like?

Fixed the thread title.

Jim. When I come to town this summer I don't think a trip back to Lava headquarters is in the cards either. I can't imagine there would be much more to see after just a year. I would like to visit Susan Michaels again but I think other adventure awaits. Maybe even another trip to that awesome Chicago Aquarium.

Have you had a chance to fire up the new Humongo? Maybe not as they are hard to lift on your own..

Critter..

No - its actually still in the back of the truck for now (but in the garage). We did find a location in the family room to set it up and enjoy the flow, as we spend quite a bit of time in there (especially with round three of the Stanley Cup playoffs commencing soon). Going to need to invite over a buddy to assist with hoisting the globe, as Pam is still as tiny as you remember her and I'm of just average build.

One thing I need to figure out is how to get the globe out of the box, as I cracked my Colossus box down the seam to remove the globe horizontally, versus vertically straight up and out of the box. I may tip the box slightly, slice the tape over the flaps on the bottom and get the box out of the way first. I can retape the flaps to make the box pristine after the fact. Its just hell on the back and core trying to reach within the box, grasp the globe and lift it straight up. I'm far too much of a pussy to pull that off.

Going to see if my buddy can head over later today to assist and we will walk it all the way through to being ready to be powered on. So possibly pics of the lamp assembled tonight!

Critter said:

Jim. When I come to town this summer I don't think a trip back to Lava headquarters is in the cards either. I can't imagine there would be much more to see after just a year. I would like to visit Susan Michaels again but I think other adventure awaits. Maybe even another trip to that awesome Chicago Aquarium.

Have you had a chance to fire up the new Humongo? Maybe not as they are hard to lift on your own..

Critter..
I would probably do like you say and try to slice open the bottom tape and slide the box up and over.

They are heavy assed globes for sure.

Thanks again Jim!

Dude - we're both IT guys. Companies pay us big bucks to figure out solutions to problems much tougher than this one.

Critter said:

I would probably do like you say and try to slice open the bottom tape and slide the box up and over.

They are heavy assed globes for sure.

Thanks again Jim!

Beautiful! Man, I don't blame ya. I mean, make sure it works...a few time, before sending it on its way! The Jim Q.C. is a bonus! Humungo/Colossus season is IN! A Colossus is up in California, unfortunate I am not local to pickup!

Jim said:

Its a blue/yellow, but have truly only seen just the very top of the globe. Still in its factory box. Liquid looks like a nicely saturated sapphire blue. Will definitely give this a run as I just can't help myself. When I bought my Colossus, blue/yellow was my #2 choice after purple/pink so interested to see this thing in all its glory.

Hell - if its only been run once, its not even broken in. I can't hook Critter up with a lamp that's not broken in. 

VOXul said:

Oh man! Awesome score! Is it a red/yellow too!?

Yup - does seem like a mini run on Colossi as I have also seen the one on eBay for $2K. Delighted that the local guy didn't try to establish market value prior to dangling his. I had wanted to see it running, but it seemed demand for his lamp kept escalating so had to move on it, and move quickly. It likely helped that he lived in quite an upscale area and had an amazing house and property. He knew his stuff though and seemed to have an inside connection at Lava Lite. He was also provided with a pair of Gibson Guitar prototype lamps for his promo event, and the only ones of those I have seen is a set of four in the CEO's office. He also expressed his desire to own a Giant Wave.

VOXul said:

Beautiful! Man, I don't blame ya. I mean, make sure it works...a few time, before sending it on its way! The Jim Q.C. is a bonus! Humungo/Colossus season is IN! A Colossus is up in California, unfortunate I am not local to pickup!

Yes, it sounds like you swooped in at an amazing price! To have that Gibson set must give him ties to the company somehow, or he managed to find treasure at a swap meet!

A Giant Wave ya say? I think I might know a guy, that is if he decides to flip his shit and throw in the towel

Jim said:

Yup - does seem like a mini run on Colossi as I have also seen the one on eBay for $2K. Delighted that the local guy didn't try to establish market value prior to dangling his. I had wanted to see it running, but it seemed demand for his lamp kept escalating so had to move on it, and move quickly. It likely helped that he lived in quite an upscale area and had an amazing house and property. He knew his stuff though and seemed to have an inside connection at Lava Lite. He was also provided with a pair of Gibson Guitar prototype lamps for his promo event, and the only ones of those I have seen is a set of four in the CEO's office. He also expressed his desire to own a Giant Wave.

VOXul said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2019   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service