Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Based upon feedback from the seller, I suspect I was not the only Oozing Goo'er who inquired about the lamp. He said he was amazed by how many interested parties contacted him about it. To put your minds at ease, the lamp is no longer available is it is currently sitting in the bed of my pickup truck. You likely didn't want it anyways as its a Franken-lamp. Came with a Colossus base, but a Humongo globe. Ok, scratch what I said earlier about this being a Franken-lamp; its a Humongo from top to bottom.

Don't feel too bad for me as I already flipped it. Flipped for the same $400 I paid for it + Firkin Burgers for me and my lovely wife + a few beers. Congratulations to Critter on having a winning personality that prompted me to reach out to him and make this happen on his behalf. What a freakin' score and a half!

Views: 1363

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tim. The hand written labels are hand filled in Chicago. Globes were blown in Germany and sent to Chicago. Even early Colossus production had German globes (through 07-08) as they used up the German globes on hand first to get rid of them. The fully Chinese made stuff came along a bit later. I think they called early Colossus lamps (even though they were hand filled in German globes) the new Colossus name because they were priced at a new lower price. I suspect some customers would have been mad when they paid in the $3,000 dollar range for a Humongo lamp that is suddenly now much cheaper in price. So before actual (fully) China Colossus production began the early ones were still Chicago filled and when on hand supplies ran out the Colossus was then finally fully Chinese. The Humongo name was used prior to the Colossus name. To me these giant lamps have a bizarre history behind them. But they are awesome no matter where the globe was made.

Bill, That's interesting! I can't wait to see the flow! I wish I would have gotten one in 07 but I had a real hard time justifying spending that kind of money on a lava lamp back then. However now if I could go back to 07 I would have gotten 2 of them with no problem knowing what I know now...lol. Anyway congratulations on your new to you Humongo!! Also Jim seems like one hell of a friend!!

Critter said:

Tim. The hand written labels are hand filled in Chicago. Globes were blown in Germany and sent to Chicago. Even early Colossus production had German globes (through 07-08) as they used up the German globes on hand first to get rid of them. The fully Chinese made stuff came along a bit later. I think they called early Colossus lamps (even though they were hand filled in German globes) the new Colossus name because they were priced at a new lower price. I suspect some customers would have been mad when they paid in the $3,000 dollar range for a Humongo lamp that is suddenly now much cheaper in price. So before actual (fully) China Colossus production began the early ones were still Chicago filled and when on hand supplies ran out the Colossus was then finally fully Chinese. The Humongo name was used prior to the Colossus name. To me these giant lamps have a bizarre history behind them. But they are awesome no matter where the globe was made.

Nice gesture !

Very Cool find, but I'm still jealous ;-)

Tim....you are so right. Jim giving me the head's up and picking it up for me is just beyond belief. Over the past couple of years Jim and I have become good friends....we seem to get each other. I am so happy to know so many nice people here on OG, especially Jim.

Thank you again Jim! We are going to consume some meat and ale this summer my friend.

Todd you too are right it is a really nice gesture.

The old adage is true. Good things come to those who wait. About 16.5 hours after I initially turned the lamp on, it absolutely erupted into some of the gnarliest flow I have ever seen.

A few more...

Oh Dear Lord! That is perfection!

Thank you so much Jim!

Truer words were never spoken. Absolutely mind blowing. Full flowage completely sneaked up on us; you could tell it was getting to optimal temperature, as it was throwing up a regular stream of lava globules. However, the globules were still originating from a craggy mass of what appeared to be a not fully liquified dome of wax. Then the globules started taking on a stretchy appearance. Then it was "HOLY SHIT!" look at the puppy flow. I couldn't stop taking pictures and my emotions could be summed up as... 

Critter said:

Oh Dear Lord! That is perfection!

Thank you so much Jim!

Tim - here are some more details on the Humongo. Oddly enough, they spelled it Humungo instead of Humungo on both the globe box and base sticker. Details are still very sparse, due to the rarity of the lamp. I had head they retailed at $3000, but Lava Brand lists a suggested retail price of $5500. As Bill and I had discussed over the phone - this was a true showcase lamp; not really intended for consumer purchase, but more intended for clubs, corporate events, etc.

I did update my thread and photo I posted for spelling, so that my contributions would be swept up when you click Autumn's Lava Library discussion and photo links - Humongo Lava Library

http://www.lavalites.com/humongo.html

Tim said:

WOW what find! So the globe was made in Germany and filled in China? Sorry I'm a little late on this thread...LOL

I hibernated the lamp last evening, dimming it way down, but maintaining some heat to the globe. Powered it all the way back up around 5:30am and it appears she will be flowing soon. Will select a choice musical track and film an HD video tonight. Will also takes a plethora of additional pictures.

I could not IMAGINE in my wildest dreams seeing that huge ass lamp flowing like that up close and personal!!!!  I'm still getting over the magical appearance my eye's behold when I look at my newest additions to the family, my glitter wizzies!!!!  It must be absolutely mind blowin!!!!!!!!

Yup - these lamps (Colossus and Humongo) are absurd, but absurd in a way similar to monster trucks. Their foot print alone makes them comical to behold, but they do have their serious side. Once you do get them flowing it will make you gasp in wonderment and take your breath away. You lose sight of the fact they they are obnoxiously huge and get lost on the organic art within the globe.

Carol said:

I could not IMAGINE in my wildest dreams seeing that huge ass lamp flowing like that up close and personal!!!!  I'm still getting over the magical appearance my eye's behold when I look at my newest additions to the family, my glitter wizzies!!!!  It must be absolutely mind blowin!!!!!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2019   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service