Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

So, assuming the stars align and I could find a mostly clear one, are they worth getting?  I would really like one of the bigger lamps, but I really don't like the flow in my smaller china lamps.

Should I just accept that I will have to goo kit it to get flow I like?

I'm loving having my 32s out and running on the weekends, and think a larger one would only add to the joy.

Opinions?

Views: 271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have one that I love and one that I am less fond of, they are kinda hit or miss.  Your best bet is to look for a giant, same size, black base and cap. Far harder to find, but better quality

Hi. Well, grande and giant lavas seem to be my obsession. I am, by no means, an expert, but I can tell you of my own experience...
I have four giants and two grandes.
Believe it or not, one of my grandes has almost the same flow pattern as my favorite giant! It's a purple with yellow wax and I absolutely love it!!! The other grande I have flows more like a typical china lamp, but there is more room to roam in these larger styles, so even a china made globe has the potential to flow more than blob. Hope that makes sense.

Also, one of my giants was fairly cloudy when I first brought it home. It's been about two weeks or so and it flows nice and clear now. Then again,it's a giant and not a grande. Both my grandes were clear from the minute I plugged them in.

On a side note, I also have a grande blue glitter lamp. It's very slow moving, but I love it too!

I have four Grandes myself, and purchased all four between December and February from Ebay. Not one lamp was cloudy. I was told that you have a better chance of having a non-cloudy lamp, if shipped during the cold season. I will say this, you may want to stay away from Amazon when purchasing Grandes. I've heard/seen many people give Amazon bad feedback for cloudy lamps. Lamps so cloudy they are milky white.  

It's a crap shoot. I've had one Grande and it came cloudy. I'd say you have a 25% chance of getting a mostly-clear one. If you must have one, keep your eye on eBay - you'll see them for around $65 shipped sometimes from www-sonicelectronix-com - or direct_glow . GooKits are hit and miss for some of us, but generally they are liked by many people here. However. they haven't been for sale on eBay for awhile, so I don't know when they'll be selling them again. 

Oh, I have one Giant, too. Same Jennifer - came slightly hazy, but it's clearing with use. Giants are > Grandes, if you can find one (they're pretty rare).

I'd love to find a Giant, but until then am willing to settle with a grande.

I live in Texas, so I might be waiting until cooler weather to try and order one.  I may check out Spencers to see if they have any that were shipped in colder weather, who knows, I might get lucky.

Well, I may have just gotten lucky, but I found all of mine on Craig's List - except the glitter one ( that was direct glow). I know there are many many flakes to sift through before you find someone dependable, but I like being able to see pictures before I throw down that much money. I also like to see them in person before I decide if they are really worth it. I got my first one at the beginning of this summer, and the last two about three weeks ago, so I was able to get six giants and grandes each a different color combo within three months. In fact, there is a blue-yellow for $60 and a purple-yellow for $40 on my local CL right now. The purple-yellow belongs to a crazy person, but the blue-yellow guy seems mostly normal. :)
Oh! And one of my GIANTS was by far the least expensive of the lot! Keep your eyes open... Ya never know what might pop up:). Good luck!

I have a saved search on CL for lava lamps in general, but Houston doesn't seem to have a lot of them.  I might have to add surrounding college towns to get a better selection.

I will keep looking however, I might get lucky eventually.

I got an email from the gookit people that they were on vacation, and would be back on eBay soon.

Globe wise how much thicker is the Giants then the Grandes? I have a Grande and the glass sounds pretty thin to me. I'd like to go with a Giant globe if it's thicker.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2020   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service