Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I decided to test and see if a new coil in my China clear/white 52oz would fix it's issues. What do you know, it does! I thought I would share the spring type I used and some photos in case anyone out there wants to give it a go. Well worth it. My lamp actually flows now. Before, it would not attach to the spring and it would just blob up at the bottom and stay there. Even after cleaning the cheap coil inside.

Now, it's what a lava lamp should be! :D Thanks to all here for the wealth of information and knowledge. Without it, this would not have happened.

Package Info - Springs purchased at Lowe's

Old coil on the left, new coil on the right. Penny is to show size.

Great new flow!

Views: 6553

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lol, you need to be buying Mathmos then. Don't buy CURRENT lava lamps from the current USA company. They are made in China crap. Should be a Mathmos store or someone that sells them near you.

Unless you know 100% that the USA lamp you are buying was MADE in the USA - don't buy it.
But I like the US lamps too. I have a grande and another 52oz green/blue that work fine. The flow is amazing in the grande. Should I change the coil? I can't believe this. I already have a few Mathmos lamps.
You can try changing the coil. That should help. Do you like the old USA lamps or the new ones?
So changing the coil won't guarantee a solution? I'm afraid to do it in case I ruin the lamp. I don't really know the difference between the new and old ones. I was just always obsessed with the ones I saw on US TV. How exactly do I change the coil? I don't know where I can buy springs either! Haha. This is the worst day ever. Do the Astro lamp bottles fit the US bases? Thanks for all your help by the way. It's so nice to have somewhere to talk about lava lamps. I've been amazed by them for over 10 years.
Attachments:
What does the bottle cap look like on the USA lamp? Does it have a stick on round label with black numbers/letters that look like they were printed/typed on a computer? Or is the bottle cap white with ink printed letters and numbers and red words that say haggerty?

Replacing the coil does not guarantee a working lamp. Yes the astros fit the usa bases but not perfectly.
The cap on the yellow/red one says lava lava on it..looks computer printed, the blue/white one has black and red printed numbers on it. Does that make a difference?
Pictures would help. The yellow/red sounds like a USA MADE lamp. The blue/white sounds like a China lamp.
So what does that mean? Are they just a waste of money then?
Current lava lamps made by the current USA company are all CHINA MADE. They are JUNK. I wouldn't take one if it were FREE and NEW. That's how bad they are.
Fantastic. I won't bother changing the coil then. I'm so sad! :(
It does suck but just don't buy them and you will be ok :)
Still doesn't get my money back though, eh? So is it ok to put the Astros in the US made bases? I just swapped around my lamps so I could use the new bases. They look quite good. I'm lovin' the holes in the bottom. I might just buy replacement Astro bottles then. Thanks for all your help Kris. Do you think Mathmos make the 'better' lamps?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service