Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I saw this product, Molotow liquid chrome marker, and was wondering if anyone has experimented with it.  It might be better than silver sharpies, or it might be a flop!

I'm not inclined to experiment with it right now so I don't have the answer 

http://www.molotow.com/magazine/molotow-liquid-chrometm/

Views: 576

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, for my understanding you need an oil-based colour, or?
This chrome one is alcohol-based, would that mix with wax? And not with water?

What about these cheap NoName metallic lamps: Groovy Motion Lava Lamp Metallic Green

I would love to experiment with these, but although the lamps are only 15-20 Dollars at different sellers, the shipping to Europe is at least 50 Bucks (for each lamp!! I buy three lamps for 45 Dollars and have to pay 150 Dollar for shipping! Fuck, I thought we have globalization? This can't be true)

This one is oil-based:  Sanford Uni Paint Marker

Another maybe interesting thing:  Schmincke Oil Bronze Powder

How to use in oil painting:  metallic oil paint

Interesting options!  I tried to check on the solvent used in Silver Sharpies but couldn't find anything definitive, but indications are that alcohol is used.

and wow, here we have 41 basic colors of Neuberg Gold leaf and Metallic Powders

And it says: "Metal powders add to: Lacquers, Polyurethane, Oil Varnish, Waxes and even Glass (liquified) that will form a film to encapsulate the metallic powder."

Has anybody tested this powder? Sounds and looks promising...

Dr What?! has tried some metal powders before without success but I don't know what kind he used.

Peter Panussi said:

and wow, here we have 41 basic colors of Neuberg Gold leaf and Metallic Powders

And it says: "Metal powders add to: Lacquers, Polyurethane, Oil Varnish, Waxes and even Glass (liquified) that will form a film to encapsulate the metallic powder."

Has anybody tested this powder? Sounds and looks promising...

I don't know the product range of Sharpies. First views show water-based, alcohol-based and at least one kind of oil-based markers: Sharpie Oil Paint Marker silver

Keith said:

Interesting options!  I tried to check on the solvent used in Silver Sharpies but couldn't find anything definitive, but indications are that alcohol is used.

To make your own metallic goo is a trial-and-error affaire, I suppose.

The metallic agent has to be oil-based, mix good with wax, mix not with water. Whatever form of metallic you put into the goo, it will raise its weight, and this means you need a liquid with higher density as the standard liquid. So the metallic agent has to be as lightweight as possible, to increase the goo's density at a minimum. (And to minimize the phenomenon of metallic parts falling out of the goo & sinking to the ground)

What about the metallic agent's reaction on heating? It shall not interfere with the heating process of the wax.

I think I read most of the articles on oozingoo about experiments with selfmade metallic goo. The photo of Dr.What's metallic grande is awesome! Also very interesting are the approaches with mica and other powders.

A metallic marker pen is nothing else then metallic powder in solution, I think. Maybe it's an advantage to have the metallic powder already dissolved homogeneously. Especially when the solution is oil-based and therefore should mix with hot wax.

Maybe it's a disadvantage cause you get more (unknown) chemical components (coming with the marker) in your goo and that may affect it's characteristics (heat capacity, density, hydrophobic property etc)

The crucial point is to mix metallic parts uniformly into the wax. Mica powders don't work properly, these mineral powders mix with oil (=wax), but tend to sink to the ground in a lava lamp. Maybe their specific weight is too high? Or their solubility characteristics simply don't match with those of wax.

Next month I will buy some of the Neuberg Metallic Powder and try to mix it with a Mathmos lamp. On the website it says "Metal powders add to [...] Waxes [...] that will form a film to encapsulate the metallic powder. [...] For wax: Use turpentine"   --> sounds promising, I am really curioius about that and will go on with recherche and give it a try in the next weeks. I'll report any further insights here...

Is Dr.What still around? I have the impression he's the real expert for metallic goo in this forum...

I don't know but I just bought two of his project lamps off eBay just today !!

^^ What is his ebay handle, I would like to see and learn what he sells, if you don't mind me asking.

http://myworld.ebay.com/wohltster57/

A lot of times he posts here before he lists on ebay

kero48 said:

^^ What is his ebay handle, I would like to see and learn what he sells, if you don't mind me asking.

Interesting to see how you get on dying a lamp metallic, Dr What's lamp looks grate however it didn't last I think he got about a year out of it looking that good and then it faded so trying another dye something to consider. 

Im not too sure about what to use as a 'solvent' for the metallic, turpentine may not be the best idea as it could damage the wax and / or make the wax less dense.I cant really think of anything else i guess if it a small amount then it may not affect things too much.

If it works then its certantly something to consider myself.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service