Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

My advice is to buy them - that is all.  End of review.

I admit that I opened them at the Target prior to bringing them to the cashier.  I would rather bring home a pair of known winners than return the things.  These were the only two I needed to look at; I initially targeted (at Target) the clear/yellow.  Wifey poo wanted the clear/red too.  Seeing as it appears to be a primo batch of lamps the store got, I will likely also grab the purple/yellow one.  When they look this good it makes me want a full set.  Well done Lava Lite, well done indeed!!!  Gold star.

There is a bit of a somewhat piercing bulb bleed at the junction of the lower and upper cones - a beacon of bright white light.  Really doesn't detract from the lamp at all.  I do want to add some colorized heat proof films to the inside of the upper cones.  Could probably do some crazy looks and even black out the coil (if inclined).

Views: 3154

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just to clarify on this.... I said the formula changed in the early 90s (92-93) from ethylene (toxic) to propylene (non-toxic) based glycol. This happened, its a fact. The formula may not have changed from the late 90s into China production but they sure dont use the same quality ingredients that they once did. I worked in a chemical compounding factory in the late 80s and the quality of the  final product you produced greatly relied on the quality of the base product you used to manufacture.

No store brand bleach can compare to Clorox and no store brand cola can compare to Pepsi Throwback :) It all starts with the initial ingredients.

Jim said:

• Lamphead said the formula changed to prevent those who ingest lamps from getting sick

How to steal Lampheads Imperial:  distract him with a case of Pepsi throwback

LampHead said:

. . . . . . .No store brand bleach can compare to Clorox and no store brand cola can compare to Pepsi Throwback :) It all starts with the initial ingredients

The quality of the chemicals is something Dale mentioned. China's chemicals are lower quality than american chemicals.

LampHead said:

Just to clarify on this.... I said the formula changed in the early 90s (92-93) from ethylene (toxic) to propylene (non-toxic) based glycol. This happened, its a fact. The formula may not have changed from the late 90s into China production but they sure dont use the same quality ingredients that they once did. I worked in a chemical compounding factory in the late 80s and the quality of the  final product you produced greatly relied on the quality of the base product you used to manufacture.

No store brand bleach can compare to Clorox and no store brand cola can compare to Pepsi Throwback :) It all starts with the initial ingredients.

Jim said:

• Lamphead said the formula changed to prevent those who ingest lamps from getting sick

I am sure a vast number of Apple components could be cheaply made as well, but apparently aren't.  Isn't China using inferior chemicals a fault on Lava Lite not having effective quality assurance protocols in place?

At the end of the day the packaging says Lava Lite and if they want to restore their name they need to take ownership of the production process.  Sure, it may be half a world away, but other companies are able to dictate... "you make it how we tell you to make it with the precise components we tell you to or you don't make it all."

Autumn said:

The quality of the chemicals is something Dale mentioned. China's chemicals are lower quality than american chemicals.

LampHead said:

Jim said:

And the logical conclusion is Lava Lite products ARE of a lower quality as long as the source material is of lower quality.  Are they better than they were?  It looks like it and we hope it will get much better.  So until then we either wait or take our chances.  Next time I'm near a Target or Spencers I plan to purchase a clearview or a neon, so I am willing to take my chances.

Autumn said:

We all know the basic situation with LL they don't make them how they used to, exactly how is still unknown. Firstly none of us hear know the exact formula and also the exact process - if we did then we could say it is this, this and then this that caused the current problem/s.

We all know that the process and probably the formula have changed - this is certainty a cost issue.

I don't know weather to believe its entirely the process and the formula is the same or not. I have no doubt that they have the 90's formula either stored under lock and key and / or someone knows it (probably both).

When Jim said its like you cant handle the truth I may be pesermistic hear but I think the truth is that lava has a limited life span and this may just be the begging of the end!!  I may be wrong but what could happen is Mathmos closes as they don't know how to effectively sell and generally run a company, LL stuff is so bad that people begin to get sick to death of it and the trend dies out completely. Either LL sales up or stops lava and makes even worse cheap crap.

However it doesn't have to be like this - it all comes down to some main factors - LL has to improve there quality and part of this is dependent on moving back to the US as clearly they are incapable of producing quality items in China. This is a fact and it apply's to many if not all products made there.

Mathmos has to take its head out of its ass and go back to the days when the genius Craven Walker was there - get the quality top noth (otherwise we risk another LL situation). Be prepared to sell to retailers and let the retailers sell the items and / or setup Mathmos shops that they control directly (same kind of model as Apple).

I agree that in the UK we are very lucky but that doesn't mean we can sit back and not care about you guys or think we have it grate as it will just make us arrogrent and end up going over to sight !!!!!!! leaving OG full of US guys hacked off about LL.

Its quite clear that we care a lot about lava - we know our stuff, we obsess over it, we want the best and we delicate time, effort and hard earned money into it. Its a shame that companies don't take the same stance. I think that one of the way forward is for the Oozing Goo community be advisors to LL and Mathmos and basically point them in the right direction. This is clearly something missing Mathmos lost craven walker and it went down a completely different path. LL had a new management and they moved to China - the problem they don't have people to take a step back and say what are you doing - that's stupid do this instead.

Well said Tim

I will not be distracted by Pepsi.....well maybe..... :)

Keith said:

How to steal Lampheads Imperial:  distract him with a case of Pepsi throwback

LampHead said:

. . . . . . .No store brand bleach can compare to Clorox and no store brand cola can compare to Pepsi Throwback :) It all starts with the initial ingredients

Five Below stores have 13 inch lava lamps like this  ( not EXACTLY )  and they are $5.00   I have actually seen them in action on youtube...... pretty wild !  Im gonna TRY to get one tommorow !

Hahaha!!! I've never heard of Five Below so I visited their website. Gee, only 1,531 miles to my nearest store. Guess I won't be getting a $5 lava lamp anytime soon. :). Looks like they have some really fun stuff though.

for   sure they do !

Jennifer said:

Hahaha!!! I've never heard of Five Below so I visited their website. Gee, only 1,531 miles to my nearest store. Guess I won't be getting a $5 lava lamp anytime soon. :). Looks like they have some really fun stuff though.

Not bad for $5. I'm gonna grab some of the glitters there.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2020   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service