Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Found oozinggoo.com when I was looking for ways to repair the Grande I picked up at CostCo a few years ago.  It's one of the Chinese made ones that has gone extremely cloudy and ceased to flow (going to try replacing the fluid one of these weekends). 

It was here that I found out about really big Lava lamps.  I was bowled over by videos of the  Colossus lamps and really want to see if I could get one, I couldn't find them available anywhere so I wrote LavaLite.  I wanted to let this group know what I got this from Lava Lite today:

We have a special promo on the Colossus for serious buyers.   This will be the last time the Colossus will be seen.

Please see attached promo sheet with pricing included.

If you are interested please contact on my direct line at 630-496-6663.

Best regards,

Susan Michaels

Customer Service Representative

LAVA LITE

630-496-6663 direct line

smichaels@lavalite.com

www.lavalite.com

Sadly these prices are outside of my discretionary funds, even though they include shipping.  I post it in hopes that someone here may be interested.

Views: 42057

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, it's cool. :p I think clear/red is sold out, also.

Looks like I'll be getting blue/yellow on a white marble base, or silver!

I don't like the wood finish at all. :( I'm not saying it's ugly or anything, just not my style. I want marble, or unfinished. I also think I may have changed my mind about the blue/yellow. I'll have to wait and see tomorrow morning!

It's a standard two prong plug.

dave p. said:

Mine's going on a hardwood floor, and it looks like my spot I picked out will be perfect. I wasn't sure how big the base was, but I think I've got the furniture moved enough to accomodate this monster!

Also, does anyone know if the cord has the standard two prong plug, or if it has the three pronged plug with ground? Trying to figure out if I need a heavy duty extension cord or not.

Jim - it's approximately 15" in width.  Definitely no wider than 16".  I say approximately, because I have a 110 lb globe sitting on it right now -- kinda' difficult to turn it upside down and take an exact measurement.  :>)

Jim said:

Smirkle (or others) - anyone know the width of the bottom of the base?  I did end up picking up a square slab of black granite tile and I am hoping I got the right size (not too big and not too small).

Critter got the last black marble base?.... grrrrr

Ok...it's looking like this, if I can swing it tomorrow...

If I can, I'll get a clear/red, but I'm seriously doubting my ability to get one, if Gwen got their clear/red from the president's office. Sounds kinda "last one" to me. :p

Oh well... you snooze you lose as in me being indecisive. I originally wanted a clear/black with black marble base like one someone here mentioned seeing in a Harley shop. But afraid of a clear being hazy and not sure if I can take that in such a large lamp. Wonder what colors are left? May make a call tomorrow.

I've been meaning to post some pictures of the flow, but I have run into my first "head scratching" moment with my new Colossus.  While I'm working it out, decided to share my experience with you good folks.

The warming up stage is normal with spiking and small balls and a column.  Once the wax is completely warm and melted together, the entire column of wax rises about 1/3 the way up the globe and stays there.  I'm running with the dimmer at 100% - all the way on.

I turned it off Saturday night and then turned it back on Sunday morning.  Still running at 100%.  10 hours later, I'm still getting the same results -- column rises only 1/3 the way up.  So, I turned it off again.  This time I watched it cool, and within several minutes, a big blob broke loose of the column and started rising.  As I watched over the course of 30 minutes, several smaller blobs broke free from the big blob and fell to the bottom.  This seemed like a clue...

The instructions say to run the dimmer at 70% until the wax is melted, then adjust it up or down depending on the flow you like.  I thought, heck, lets just get this baby going and I'll adjust it from there.  Probably not the best idea, since any adjustments take time with the Colossus, and I'm used to adjusting the regular sized lamps and getting fast feedback -- like using a 60 watt bulb in place of a 40 watt bulb.

So, I've turned it on again this morning, and I'm running it at what I think is 70% -- there is no scale on the dimmer switch, you guesstimate.  Let's see what happens if I follow the directions!

Here is what the early flow looked like before it got too hot (my theory now):

Here is a pic of what the stuck flow looks like.

I'll let you know how it goes this time, but if anyone has any ideas or suggestions...  I'd love to hear, "yes, that last picture is an indication of too much heat".  :>)  By the way, I still LOVE the Colossus.  It is a thing of beauty.

I'm calling this morning lol. I'm do what I can! And I think the stuck flow is over heating

Thanks for being the guinea pig providing an update smirkle.  I think one of my first actions will be to take an ultra fine sharpie and mark up the dimmer a bit at 25% increments.

It is not too hot. The lamp just needs to be cycled. Melt it and let it cool enough times and it will flow like it should. The lamps made in china are very slow to start flowing for some reason.

These are supposed to be made in the USA...?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service