Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Found oozinggoo.com when I was looking for ways to repair the Grande I picked up at CostCo a few years ago.  It's one of the Chinese made ones that has gone extremely cloudy and ceased to flow (going to try replacing the fluid one of these weekends). 

It was here that I found out about really big Lava lamps.  I was bowled over by videos of the  Colossus lamps and really want to see if I could get one, I couldn't find them available anywhere so I wrote LavaLite.  I wanted to let this group know what I got this from Lava Lite today:

We have a special promo on the Colossus for serious buyers.   This will be the last time the Colossus will be seen.

Please see attached promo sheet with pricing included.

If you are interested please contact on my direct line at 630-496-6663.

Best regards,

Susan Michaels

Customer Service Representative

LAVA LITE

630-496-6663 direct line

smichaels@lavalite.com

www.lavalite.com

Sadly these prices are outside of my discretionary funds, even though they include shipping.  I post it in hopes that someone here may be interested.

Views: 42047

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are all heat lamps infra red?  I'm just looking at bulb options, and some state they are IR, and some don't.  Just wondering if there was a difference or if it was only in the advertising.

Also, what about using lower wattage halogen floods to replace the heat lamps?  I'm just looking for options

Susan has offered a full refund. The 200 watt bulb has made no difference. Depending on how soon she sends fedex out to pick up the lamp I might try an even lower watt bulb. Whats the next lowest wattage 175? Would that even be hot enough to get proper flow?

She said they only have blue lamps left. I really hate parting with this thing but if I'm paying $750 for this thing then it needs to work properly 100% without babysitting. I might see if she'd be willing to do a partial refund so I could gookit this thing.

This has been such a disappointing experience. I really hate giving it back

Gookit a Colossus? That would be crazy!

You'd need to find a CAULDRON to put the globe in when you melt the old wax!

How about a turkey fryer vat & propane cooker. I'll deep fry that SOB if I must. Just like steaming a bunch of crabs or shrimp. Muah ha ha!

Or just heat it on its base without most of the liquid.

Phishy Lava said:

Gookit a Colossus? That would be crazy!

You'd need to find a CAULDRON to put the globe in when you melt the old wax!

Mmm.......deep fried lava. 

ACTUALLY, I got my first whiff of what lava smells like yesterday when I cracked open a Grande to do a gookit.

Not the most pleasant odor. I thought it'd smell like unscented candle wax. It does not. LOL. 

Yeah, it smells like the bottom of a drum of the finest Kuwaiti crude.
Does anyone else's Colossus look like this? A central volcano that spits bubbly wax? I think someone else mentioned the bubbliness. When it's not busy getting overheated, too cool, or otherwise stuck, it does the Galileo thermometer act. Those bubbles hang there forever. It really makes me think that extra coil needs to come out. If its getting hot enough in the middle to allow fluid to get underneath, maybe that coil needs to not be there. I bet it's focusing too much heat on the wax in the middle, which is why mine often gets stuck after a bare spot develops in the middle. Thoughts?
Attachments:
Yeah, that's pretty much what mine looks like most of the time, Ben. :-(
It is a P/Y. It's currently running on the 200w bulb shipped to me by Susan. It's set at about 34 minutes on the dimmer. Any more, it overheats. Any less, it gets leathery and turdy.
I've been cycling it since February. It actually flowed best when I first got it. Now this.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service