Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Found oozinggoo.com when I was looking for ways to repair the Grande I picked up at CostCo a few years ago.  It's one of the Chinese made ones that has gone extremely cloudy and ceased to flow (going to try replacing the fluid one of these weekends). 

It was here that I found out about really big Lava lamps.  I was bowled over by videos of the  Colossus lamps and really want to see if I could get one, I couldn't find them available anywhere so I wrote LavaLite.  I wanted to let this group know what I got this from Lava Lite today:

We have a special promo on the Colossus for serious buyers.   This will be the last time the Colossus will be seen.

Please see attached promo sheet with pricing included.

If you are interested please contact on my direct line at 630-496-6663.

Best regards,

Susan Michaels

Customer Service Representative

LAVA LITE

630-496-6663 direct line

smichaels@lavalite.com

www.lavalite.com

Sadly these prices are outside of my discretionary funds, even though they include shipping.  I post it in hopes that someone here may be interested.

Views: 42057

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes. I get lots of bubbles, as if the fluid is getting under the wax at the bottom, heating up and bubbling up through.

Loren said:

Woooooooooooooooo!! I hope you love it. :)

I've been having a problem with bubbly wax here recently, and wasn't before. It's flowing much better, all around, but yesterday I had a LOT more bubbles than usual. Anybody else having a lot of bubbles? I'm hoping this is just a phase the lamp is going through.

lalalava said:

FINALY GOT MY COLOSSUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Susan emailed me and said the rings for the tables are in and those who ordered one will be receiving them shortly. :)

Don Souliere said:

I wish, I have the glass, but still waiting on the piece that it rests on..  Someone was saying within the next week or 2 we shoud be getting them.

Al Chemysto said:

Anyone receive their tables yet?

Got the same email, and mine contained a FedEx tracking number

Deb said:

Susan emailed me and said the rings for the tables are in and those who ordered one will be receiving them shortly. :)

Don Souliere said:

I wish, I have the glass, but still waiting on the piece that it rests on..  Someone was saying within the next week or 2 we shoud be getting them.

Al Chemysto said:

Mine is also on the way, im so excited

Jim said:

Got the same email, and mine contained a FedEx tracking number

Deb said:

Don Souliere said:

Al Chemysto said:

I am suspecting the same thing. Just last night I found that if I crank up the lamp in excess of 75% and have a fan blowing on it, I can get it to give lively (non-chunky) flow and not overheat it immediately. I was able to keep a steady flow for a couple hours at least. But when I got up this morning I had the biggest stuck flow ever with 2 blobs completely off the coils (instead of the normal low blobs.) Even if I get it to work this way I still don't think I'm getting what I paid for. This lamp has been in no way a "set it and forget it" product. I realize this is a different beast than the smaller lamps, but still.. It's not enjoyable to fight back and forth with it.

For the record, how many of us are having issues/not having issues and what color combo do you have? I think we have it narrowed the problems down to yellow wax but some other color combos have had issues as well. I'm not trying to air dirty lava laundry here, just trying to formulate some empirical data from the group:

Ben: purple/yellow
Al:
Kirk (?)
Lalalava: Red/clear
Others? Speak up!

the only thing I have fault with your post Lalalava, is that you dont buy a heave duty timer so you donthave to get up early, they go for 15 bucks, lol

I have a blue/yellow, and I only have MINIMAL trouble with my lamp, in comparison to a lot of people. Again I'll say...I don't think it's the yellow wax. It seems like all of the colors have had issues, to varying degrees. My runs are almost always lengthy, only about 30% have had problems, and all of those were easily fixed. I will say that the temperature in the room plays a HUGE part, and that it seems as though the lamps need varying degrees of cycling to really settle in for some reason, but I don't think that the color of the wax is the key, personally.

Ben said:

I am suspecting the same thing. Just last night I found that if I crank up the lamp in excess of 75% and have a fan blowing on it, I can get it to give lively (non-chunky) flow and not overheat it immediately. I was able to keep a steady flow for a couple hours at least. But when I got up this morning I had the biggest stuck flow ever with 2 blobs completely off the coils (instead of the normal low blobs.) Even if I get it to work this way I still don't think I'm getting what I paid for. This lamp has been in no way a "set it and forget it" product. I realize this is a different beast than the smaller lamps, but still.. It's not enjoyable to fight back and forth with it.

For the record, how many of us are having issues/not having issues and what color combo do you have? I think we have it narrowed the problems down to yellow wax but some other color combos have had issues as well. I'm not trying to air dirty lava laundry here, just trying to formulate some empirical data from the group:

Al:
Kirk (?)
Others? Speak up!

Yellow/Purple had stuck flow.  After running almost daily for 6-8 weeks, flow is much improved.  It can now run for days without getting stuck.

Red/Clear has perfect flow.  It flows great at both high and low temps and it has never gotten stuck.

Purple/Pink has stuck flow just like Yellow/Purple.  I've been running it almost daily for 2-3 weeks now.  Flow is slowly improving.

I'm convinced that all of the stuck flow issues go away with time.  Keep them running.  They cool down at night and as the temperature rises in the day, they flow.  I only turn off my stuck flow lamps when they get stuck, and then only for 5-10 minutes.

Ben said:

Al:
Kirk (?)
Others? Speak up!

I run mine in the 6pm position with no issues. It does come off the coil sometimes, but it always corrects itself. I have left it running for days with no issues. Some nights it gets cold and the wax solidifies, but otherwise everything is good.

Days? Jealous.

Autumn said:

I run mine in the 6pm position with no issues. It does come off the coil sometimes, but it always corrects itself. I have left it running for days with no issues. Some nights it gets cold and the wax solidifies, but otherwise everything is good.

Yellow/purple

My performance is inconsistent and frankly I'm not buying the "over heating" problem and here's why....

I turn off the heat in my apartment when not home and dial my lamp up to about maybe 50%-75%. The temp can drop down to as low as maybe 55-60 degrees and the lamp STILL SEPARATES blobs from coil. I believe some one else here hit upon the issue. It's THE COIL that's the problem. A doubled up coil seem to be in the yellow/purples. To be honest I can't really tell if that's the case with mine but I'm not ruling it out. 

I just don't see the "temp" figuring into it. You can't have it both ways. If it's "too cold" you get chunks, "too hot" blobs. NO ONE can be expected to sit here all day babysitting these things with a temperature gauge. 

I really don't see how heat and room temperature can be such an issue when all my other (smaller) lamps run just fine round the clock non-stop.

Frankly I think we have a "case" against LL here. These lamps simply do no operate as advertised and LL knows it. We should all band together and approach LL with an appeal to put things right. If they face all of us seeking to return the lamps they will be forced to work with us. I know they've offered 200 watt bulbs (susan sent me 2), exchanges, etc HOWEVER they cannot exchange all our lamps seeing as how they are sold out and don't have the colors we purchased.

SO

They can take the lamps back and fix them. I don't see that happening unless they were properly threatened with legal action and I doubt we can scrounge up the resources to do that (or can we?)..

OR

They can steeply discount the lamps and partially refund our money to shut us up and keep us appeased under threat we'll take things further.

Ben said:

Al:
Kirk (?)
Others? Speak up!
Why do you think they suddenly decided, so many years later, to get rid of these last 75 or however many colossus lamps? And at such a discounted price, compared to their original MSRP?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service