Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

*edit

Any lamp is fair game now, not just the beatles and harley lamps. This thread has grown far beyond my expectations! 0.0

I really dont understand why these are always listed for ridiculous amounts. I see them all the time for $100 buy it now. I have a harley lamp and I want to sell it because I dont like it. Someone locally tried to sell me a beatles lamp for $100. Are these people nuts? Why do they all seem to list them for stupidly high prices?

Anyways I thought it would be fun to see who can find the most over priced harley davidson or beatles submarine lamp.

I am setting the bar really high.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beatles-Yellow-Submarine-Lava-Lamp-1999-NEW-BOX...

$274.99 Buy it now.

$26.99 Shipping.

$301.98 Total

Views: 13828

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

lol thanks but you know what? your globes are still too expensive..... but hey if some fool wants to pay what your asking more power to you then. Even a Giant in mint condition is worth less then what your asking and is by far a much better lamp.

Travis Joles said:

I listed 4 of these globes last year, and sold them all to one buyer for $1,500. I had 4 left. I kept one for myself, and just sold the other three. Two for $300, and one for $325.  
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120...

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_Complete=1&_trkparms=6...

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!
Who are you to price lamps? Your only .1% of the collecting population. See the logical fallacy there? Size has no correlation to knowledge. I base my price estimates off of what I see other lamps sell for, while you base yours on feelings. I have personally seen blue/white giants sell for less, and like Dr. WHAT?! said they are nicer lamps. You still cant deny that we posted that you wanted $525 for your globes,but you only got $300 at most. You sold your globes, good for you, we dont care. I am done arguing.

Travis Joles said:

I wasn't angry, and am not angry. I am the winner, like always. I don't have to prove it. I never do, except when I have to read bone head commnts like on here. Money is important to me. I use a majority of it to fund numerous charities, where I actively participate in. I've been hearing everyone on here complain about high prices since the site was started. It gets old after a while. I don't care if you do, but when I get thrown into the mix, I'll give my .02 cents just like you guys did. I collect lava lamps. I have many. I collect a lot of things. I love toys. Some are woth more than others. You can say all day long that it's not worth that, but if it were a court case, the ebay sale would guarantee a ruling in my favor. That's what I don't understand. You can be slapped in the face with 3 proven transactions in a month of a lava lamp that brings $300 each time, and you still try to deny it's value.

I give it to you for trying, but you're not selling me. How could you say most collectors, when 3 globes were sold in under 4 weeks? They weren't on for two years, and I had to give them away. I had to change the best offer option in my listing because I was getting nonstop offers of under $300, and I wouldn't take less. You're a small community of collector's. You probably make up 30% of the collecting population, if you're lucky. You have no merrit quoting values, and apperantly can't see the light when it's shining right in your eyes.   

Newsflash!  you dont 'have' to read the comments on here! no-one is forcing you! its obviously working out well for you because you are getting a high price for your globes. good for you  ;)

and BTW thanks for making this discussion even more entertaining!

Travis Joles said:

I am the winner, like always. I don't have to prove it. I never do, except when I have to read bone head comments like on here.

Folks, you have to consider, these lamps or parts thereof are worth whatever people are willing to pay.

If it's not worth it, people will not buy it. if someone chooses to list it at higher then fair market value, and someone buys it, that's there choice. It sort of changes the fair market value if it continues on that trend.

I get tired of reading complaints about bidders raising the price of lamps past certain perceived values.

This goes on about complaints of sellers raising the price of lamps past certain perceived values.

The fact remains if buyer and seller agree on a price, and are happy with it then they are the ones who are dealing with it.

I still say this thread is in poor taste. It's one thing to giggle about a really poor quality lamp that is listed for enormous prices, but it's another to complain about prices and calling out sellers.

Yes, I thought $525 for an incomplete lamp was high. Did I giggle about it, yes, But heck, someone might want it and that is the perceived value someone else is willing to let it go at. Everyone has a price.

eBay lets you meet someone for something at a price you agree upon.

アンドル said:

Who are you to price lamps? Your only .1% of the collecting population. See the logical fallacy there? Size has no correlation to knowledge. I base my price estimates off of what I see other lamps sell for, while you base yours on feelings. I have personally seen blue/white giants sell for less, and like Dr. WHAT?! said they are nicer lamps. You still cant deny that we posted that you wanted $525 for your globes,but you only got $300 at most. You sold your globes, good for you, we dont care. I am done arguing.

You apparently are basing it solely off feelings, because if you go off what they sell for you need to look no further than here.

2010 - eBay
$375 x 4

2011 - eBay

$300 x 2.

$325 x 1.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXTREMELY-RARE-NOS-BLUE-WHITE-LAVA-LAMP-GRANDE-...

I even provided a link, so you can see what it sold for, so you can update your book. The only reason the others sold for less is because the person either didn't know, set it up as an auction instead of a BIN so he could be in charge of the final price, or they wanted to sell it fast for quick cash. How could the other ones be nicer than brand new, perfect condition, never turned on once, still in the original lava lamp boxes? Good one.

Whatever the reason you see exactly what these can sell for if you know what you're doing. It wasn't a ridiculous price of $2,500 or best offer. I set it a descent price based on rarity, and condition, and sold all of them so fast they were flying off the shelf. You just keep trying to keep the market down, and I'll make sure I try to keep it up. You keep trying to keep us in a recession, and I'll try to pull us out.

Travis, that was an interesting comment about recession, I'm a bit ignorant on how this works.

How does keeping the price high help pull the economy out of recession.

If someone has $500 disposable cash to spend on a hobby, they will spend it either in one place or multiple places.

Travis Joles said:

You just keep trying to keep the market down, and I'll make sure I try to keep it high. You keep trying to keep us in a recession, and I'll try to pull us out.

The more we spend, the better the economy gets. When we allow ourselves to spend more on disposable items, we pull ourselves out of a recession. Everything thrives when we spend money. Everything dies when we don't. 

Example:

At work tomorrow morning, your boss, a friend from childhood, comes into your office crying. She has to lay off 10 percent of the company, she sobs. If not, the firm goes bankrupt. To be hyper-fair, she's picked names out of a hat. Yours is among them.

Yes, you're facing foreclosure. Yes, you can barely afford the medications that keep your disabled spouse from suicidal depression. But there can be no exceptions.

Why? you ask.

Our customers have cut back their spending, she sputters. Individuals who used to buy from us are saving more; corporate clients can't get loans from banks, and are afraid to spend anyway, given THEIR uncertainty about the future.

You're both in tears now.

So I'm doomed? you ask.

The only hope is for us to get a big federal contract and/or tax break, the boss says. But let's face the current economic facts. Government spending would mean more government borrowing. More borrowing would scare the investors who lend America money (by buying U.S. bonds). They would then demand higher interest payments for their loans, which would cost the government even MORE money, putting it deeper in debt. Pretty soon, our bonds would be worth less -- or worthless.

But wait a second! you say, your voice perhaps rising. Interest rates are at record LOWS -- with our national debt at a record HIGH. Plus, if you lay off 10 percent of our company and everyone else does the same, there will be FEWER customers for our products and you'll have to lay off even MORE employees. Don't you see? It's a downward spiral! And what's the worst that can happen?

"What is?" asks your boss, her tear-sodden eyes beginning to see the light.

The U.S. dollar will lose value against other currencies. True, that will mean a lower standard of living for all of us. But the pain will be shared and it will be gradual. It will force Americans to finally live within our means. It will make our exports cheaper, and restore American jobs as we sell more to consumers abroad. And who gets hurt most? People who own U.S. bonds right now. Rich people. The Chinese.

Omigod! says your boss. I see your point. I'll write my Congressperson. I'll organize GREEN tea parties. I'll march on the Mall. I'll engage in civil disobedience. I'll FORCE the government to spend.

I never sold one for $245. Where did you see that? You can see them all if you log into eBay.

アンドル said:

Your taking things too seriously. If you look at the first few pages you can see lots of lamps $100 over their actual value. You may see it as a whine fest, but 90% of what people have posted has been funny because the seller is asking way over the actual value. I have been collecting long enough to know that a blue/yellow grande isnt worth $161.99, or some little china egg rocket for $135. This thread is to post people fools gold, more power to you if you actually sold your stuff.

I also agree that $525 is too much got any china lava lite globe, and by your own account you only sold them for $300 each. I also saw on your account that you did sell one for $245. So does that make us right that you were asking for too much?

Anyways, this isnt meant to to start a fight between collectors. Its just a little bit of fun, so why not join in? Your obviously passionate about what you do so dont get too upset when you see your listing posted here. There are several members here that have had their own auctions posted.

Travis Joles said:

I listed 4 of these globes last year, and sold them all to one buyer for $1,500. I had 4 left. I kept one for myself, and just sold the other three. Two for $300, and one for $325.  
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120...

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_Complete=1&_trkparms=6...

All I ever read on here is you guys griping, and moaning about prices being too high. I don't know if it makes you feel better because you have no money, or you don't realize that lava lamps are seen as art, collected by people who aren't just dead head stoners. If you guys spent half as much time trying to knock every lava lamp out there, regardless of quantiy, or rarity you might realize that there are rare lava lamps that are valuable, and very desirable. The Blue/White Grande is one of them. You crack jokes like: "Well mine must be worth $500 becuase it has the base, and cap Ha-Ha." What you don't get, is that it almost is. Within 1 month I sold three of those globes for no less than $300.....a piece! $900 for all three....in a month. I couldn't keep them on the shelf fast enough. I would have been rich if I bought all 75 and dumped them on ebay. Those three sales tell you that if you have a Blue/White Grande gobe alone it's worth at least $300. With the extras, even more. Put one on ebay right now, and I bet you would get at least $400 complete.    

You guys like to show listings with what you think is a way high price, but you don't ever show a thread relaying the ebay sale, and what certain lava lamps are bringing in your community of collector's. Aren't you proud of rare lamps that fetch high prices? Or are you just too pissed that you can't afford one when it comes up, and so you have to knock it? When you put down these rare models, including the few Blue/White Grandes that are out there, you're ripping on your own collection. You're calling your own lamps junk. You have a huge collection of junk. I don't get it. If you have a blue/white grande you should be very proud to have such a rare lamp. How many users on here have one? I bet it's not many. I don't know why I'm going this far, because you wouldn't get it anyway, but I made you haters eat your words last year, and just did again with 3 more sales. That's why there's buyers, and sellers. I am a seller, and an expert. You're a buyer, and you have a collection of junk. I'm making thousands on ebay, and you're collecting scrap metal, glass, and wax. If that's how you want to look at lava lamps that's fine, but you better know your stuff before you try to rope me into the same category as the century for $999.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=...

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/mintvintagetoys/m.html?LH_Complete=1...
Dr. WHAT?! said:

mine too Don!  and we have bases and caps so is our worth more?! lol I think this guy tried a few years back selling these for about the same price didn't work out too well. I even think some people here reemed him a new one about the price but whatever it's his time wasted.

Erin said:

Lookit this bad boy:

Your welcome. I love a good debate. Especially when I'm right. I've got some other good ammunition I'll pull out later if needed. Not really, but it helps build suspense. 

Ford Prefect said:

Newsflash!  you dont 'have' to read the comments on here! no-one is forcing you! its obviously working out well for you because you are getting a high price for your globes. good for you  ;)

and BTW thanks for making this discussion even more entertaining!

Travis Joles said:

I am the winner, like always. I don't have to prove it. I never do, except when I have to read bone head comments like on here.

Guess it's not much of a good debate if you're right, eh? Congratulations. Someone really likes themselves.

Travis Joles said:
Your welcome. I love a good debate. Especially when I'm right. I've got some other good ammunition I'll pull out later if needed. Not really, but it helps build suspense. 

Also, this is my new favorite line. :D

Travis Joles said:

I am the winner, like always.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service