Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

hey everyone! long time no see. I hope everyone is well.

I took a look on eBay yesterday to see what lamps are going for these days and was shocked to see the prices. what gives? sellers are asking $200+ for lamps that used to go for $50 a few years ago. starships in particular.

Views: 204

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been wondering the same thing.  Maybe supply and demand?  I guess with everyone being home due to the pandemic people took up to new hobbies and collecting Lava Lamps was one of them?  It's actually getting pretty ridiculous what people are asking for some of these lamps. I hope this is just a phase and prices will go back to normal.

glad i'm not the only one who noticed the jump in prices! i'm not really in the market for a lamp, but dang those prices are a bit steep for those collecting the LL 90's lamps. ouch!

Jay Goo said:

I've been wondering the same thing.  Maybe supply and demand?  I guess with everyone being home due to the pandemic people took up to new hobbies and collecting Lava Lamps was one of them?  It's actually getting pretty ridiculous what people are asking for some of these lamps. I hope this is just a phase and prices will go back to normal.

Tell me about it.  there's a couple i'm actually looking at, but having a tough time pulling the trigger on a lamp for $100.00

Brad said:

glad i'm not the only one who noticed the jump in prices! i'm not really in the market for a lamp, but dang those prices are a bit steep for those collecting the LL 90's lamps. ouch!

Jay Goo said:

I've been wondering the same thing.  Maybe supply and demand?  I guess with everyone being home due to the pandemic people took up to new hobbies and collecting Lava Lamps was one of them?  It's actually getting pretty ridiculous what people are asking for some of these lamps. I hope this is just a phase and prices will go back to normal.

It's something I've noticed too, for example on ebay.co.uk there is a second hand mathmos astro with marks and scratches on the base/lid, no box, and in a colourway that is still available.

They are asking for more than it would cost brand new direct from mathmos, plus charging shipping (mathmos have free delivery).  All in all it would cost £11 more to buy the secondhand one than it would to buy it brand new.

I've been watching ebay out of curiosity more than anything, I'm more drawn to the Neos at the minute, but it's ridiculous... I've sometimes thought to myself "that colourway looks cool", but I just can't bring myself to pay the increasingly insane prices.

I sell on eBay under lavalabcreations

It is basic supply and demand

Type in lava lamp then Go to the advanced search- click SOLD to see the real value of them

People can ask whatever they want, 

The price is driven by the amount they sold for, not the asking price

The availability of vintage lamps is dwindling

They simply don't make them anymore

I sell a few that are over $100 but only because it took my time and resources to restore them to their former glory

fees on eBay are what, 10% now? I think that's also driving the price increases.

claude - best of luck selling your lamps!

10%??
Way more than that
It's 12.75% of the total amount including shipping with the new managed payments system

the only bright side is that you don't pay palpal a separate fee now

Now, add to that the packing costs of an average of $3.50 per item~!

Brad said:

fees on eBay are what, 10% now? I think that's also driving the price increases.

claude - best of luck selling your lamps!

wow!

Claude J said:

10%??
Way more than that
It's 12.75% of the total amount including shipping with the new managed payments system

the only bright side is that you don't pay palpal a separate fee now

Now, add to that the packing costs of an average of $3.50 per item~!

Brad said:

fees on eBay are what, 10% now? I think that's also driving the price increases.

claude - best of luck selling your lamps!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Mark Goo created this Ning Network.

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2021   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service