Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

After extensive testing,  I'm now offering many NEW glitter colors in clear fast liquid.  They are gorgeous!  Here are a few of the options.  I'll post them all below in this discussion and in my videos.

I've also developed replacement slow glitter formulas for the Florence Art, Heat Tapes, Mastercrafters, and Crestworth glitter lamps of the 60s and 70s.  The liquid in these formulas is non-flammable, non-combustible, and much less toxic than the fast, solvent-based liquid. 

To simplify things, both fast and slow glitter liquid are now available at the same prices.  Here are some FAQs on the glitter liquid.

I fill all orders on a first come, first served basis.  I do all of the work by hand and take care to ensure quality.  Please allow 2-3 weeks from payment for delivery.

Fast or Slow Glitter Liquid In Containers 

$25 for one quart container (fills 32 oz globe)

$23 each for two or more.

$40 for two quart containers (fills 52 oz globe)

$37 each for two or more.

$140 for eight (8) quart containers (fills 250 oz Grande)

$115 for six (6) quart containers (fills 175 oz Lunar)

32 OZ LAVA GLOBE: ADD $10 each

52 OZ LAVA GLOBE: ADD $15 each *Very Limited Supply

NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE for refilling 32oz and 52oz globes that you supply!

ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING to USA Lower 48!  International, please contact me for a quote.

I prefer payment with Paypal.  My Paypal account is kirkolson@mac.com. 

If you need liquid to refill other size globes or you have vintage globes you’d like me to refill, please contact me for a quote.  My prices are very reasonable.

I no longer refill and ship Grande-sized globes, but I have excellent instructions with pictures if you want to refill a Grande with my containers of liquid. 

FAST GLITTER Liquid Color choices: Blue, Green, Red, Purple, Light Blue, Yellow, Orange, Teal, Pink, and Clear 

FAST GLITTER Glitter choices in Colored Liquid:

• Small Silver Holographic Hexagonal – Looks best in 32oz and 52oz globes
  • Medium Silver Holographic Square – Looks best in 32oz and 52oz globes
  • Large Silver Holographic Square – Looks best in Lunar, Grande, Gemlites, 52oz globes
  • Short Silver Holographic Strand – Looks best in 32oz and 52oz globes
  • Long Silver & Colored Holographic Strand - Looks best in 32oz, 52oz, and Grande globes (use 15watt, 25watt, 40watt bulbs)

*NEW* FAST COLORED GLITTER choices in Clear Liquid:

• Small Hexagonal: Gold (Holo), Green (Holo), Pink (Holo), Sky Blue (Holo), Ocean Blue (Holo), Navy (Holo), Turquoise, Lavender, Violet (Holo), Orange (Holo), Copper (Holo), Multicolor (Holo)
  • Small Squares: Violet (Holo), Pink (Holo), Sky Blue (Holo), Green (Holo), Gold (Holo), Navy (Holo), Silver (Holo)
  • Small Dots: Green (Holo), Pink (Holo)
  • Medium Dots: Gold (Holo), Ocean Blue (Holo), Silver (Holo)

SLOW GLITTER Liquid Color choices: Blue, Green, Red, Purple, Light Blue, Yellow, Orange, Teal, Pink, and Clear

SLOW GLITTER Glitter choices: 

• Small Silver Flakes – Best for Florence Art, Heat Tapes, Mastercrafter’s Clocks, Consorts, and 32 oz globes
  • Very Small Silver Flakes -- Best for Crestworth Glitterlite, Lava Lite Glitter Lite
  • *NEW* Small Metallic Gold Multicolor -- Best for Glitterama 

All liquid is non-combustible and non-flammable.  

The slow glitter liquid is very low in toxicity.

The fast glitter liquid is solvent-based and should be treated with caution. Use safety goggles and gloves when working with the liquid, and make sure your work area is well ventilated — turn on a fan. 

Use a funnel when pouring the liquid into your globes.  Promptly close your bottle openings with the plug and cap provided.

My shipping address is: 

Kirk Olson

For USPS: PO BOX 1188

For UPS, FEDEX: 11228 Parsons Rd

Manor, TX 78653

kirkolson@mac.com

Views: 21908

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ditto:  I have a Giant that I want to glitter.  From what I have seen, fast large

holo would be the choice for this, plus mixing it up with the multi colored

could be cool !

Just as you....

I'm having a hard time to place an order from Kirk, too many options.

I have three 52oz, a fluey and I want to do an a giant.  Arrggg !!!!

Too many options, plus I want to try the slow stuff.

yeah, your light blue looked nice !   but I only have a spare yellow base.

Maybe I could paint it ?

In general, I like the larger glitter in the larger globes, and the smaller glitter in the smaller globes.  

I've put the small .040" silver holographic hex in a Grande with colored liquid, and it looks and flows great, but I love the way the large .250" silver holographic square looks even more.  It's subjective and a matter of personal taste, though.  I know  others like the small glitter better.

I haven't tried the very small .015" colored hex (this is the multicolor size) in a Grande yet, but I bet it would be beautiful.  Maybe I can set one up next week and take a video?  

I'm not as fond of mixing the small and large glitters in the same globe.  But it really comes down to what you like, and I enjoy experimenting with different options.  I never would have tried the "Waldo effect" (a few large squares in smaller glitter), and I'm glad you did, John.  I like it.

The other option I think you should consider for a Grande is the large .250" hexagonal glitter.  This is the glitter I put in my Colossus.  If you like lots of flashing in your flow, then this is the glitter for you.  The hexagonal shape has more sides/points on it to reflect light, so it flashes more.  I personally love this glitter.  I have a couple of crappy Grandes (I'm always on the look out for them on Craigslist for $40 or less) that I'm going to redo with this glitter.  I haven't decided on liquid color yet, but I may just keep it clear.  This is a very classy look.

Finally, I've been testing much longer strand glitter that has holographic properties.  I recently redid a lamp for Erin with this glitter and LOVED it!  I bought a Crestworth Astro off Ebay that had worn out wax and cloudy liquid.  So, I've gutted it, and in it's place I'm running this long strand glitter in orange fast liquid.  I think it's gorgeous with the Crestworth copper base and cap.  I need to post a video of it.

I agree - there are so many choices with the glitter.  I haven't even mentioned or tested the holographic glitter shreds.  Or the holographic snowmen, moons, stars, and green clovers.  And Loren can make almost any shape of glitter.

For me, this is what makes the glitter more interesting than lava.  I look at lava now and find it kind of boring, except for maybe the Fluidium.  That's some crazy flowing wax.    

Here are the instructions for refilling a Grande with the fast glitter formula.

1. Carefully remove the metal sealing cap on the Grande.  Do not damage the cap, because it will be used later to reseal the globe.

2. The rubber stopper can be set aside.  It won’t be used to reseal the Grande.

3. Clean the globe and dry it completely. 

4. Fill the globe with the liquid container that is labeled “Contains Glitter" first.  Then, continue filling with the other containers.

Here are the items you’ll need to complete the job including a new solvent-resistant yellow plug and a band clamp.

You’ll need to purchase quick drying epoxy for glass and metal, like the Bob Smith Industries epoxy in the following picture.  You can purchase it at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BBV46/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o...

5. Cut the yellow solvent resistant stopper to fit the top of your Grande’s lid.  Insert the stopper in the Grande.

6. Place the original Grande metal sealing cap on top.

7. Now, place the decorative Grande cap on top and measure from the bottom of the decorative cap to the top of the liquid.  You want to leave 1” between the bottom of the decorative cap and the top of the liquid.  Add or remove liquid and take measurements until you get to 1”.

8. Remove the decorative cap and the original metal Grande cap.

9. Mix the epoxy on a piece of cardboard.

10. Place the mixed epoxy around the glass outside rim.  Place the mixed epoxy around the inside of the metal cap.

11.  Place the metal cap on top.

12. Using a flathead screwdriver, carefully press the sides of the metal cap against the glass.  Clean up any epoxy residue from the glass.

13.  Place the band clamp around the metal cap.  Tighten firmly.

14.  Let stand 24 hours.  Remove the band clamp and Enjoy!

analoghaze said:

Kirk,
How do you think a grande would look with fast clear glitter using half multi colored and the other half large halo?

Just curious.....as I have a grande that I am not too fond of the color combo.
If you also have the time, I would please like to see the instructions on doing this. Not trying to jump the gun, but I want to know what I am getting into. Feel free to send me a PM.
Thanks
John

Is the epoxy a one-time option, or could you remove the metal lid later if you want to redo the globe?

Do you have a picture of your demo lamp in full flow?  That looks like the larger holo glitter and I just wondered what it looked like in use.

Here's a video of one of my Grande's with clear liquid and large holographic squares.

A heat gun can loosen the epoxy so you can remove the lid and redo the globe later.

Keith said:

Is the epoxy a one-time option, or could you remove the metal lid later if you want to redo the globe?

Cool, I might try this on one of my lavas.

Kirk said:

A heat gun can loosen the epoxy so you can remove the lid and redo the globe later.

Keith said:

thanks for the instructions!  i was just about to contact you about sealing my glitter grande.

Kirk, I received my yellow with large squares today and I cannot. Leave. This room. Literally, I think I am going to sleep in my living room tonight. :) I have exposed brick on my living room walls, and the glittered light is  bouncing beautifully along the bricks and onto the ceiling. It's almost giving the feeling of being in a lagoon or underwater. I bet the light blue would really give that underwater effect. Now I just need to decide what color to get next. :) I think I need the clear.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2019   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service