Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Going to try filtering a Grande I ordered from Target. It came extremely cloudy. (See pic)
I have read until my eyes are bleeding on the process, but never saw mention of flushing the globe out after dumping the fluid. Is it necessary and safe to do so to achieve a clear lamp?

Read in the "Library" not to dump the white powder, but it seems like you would need to get that stuff out of there.

Thanks for any info!

Views: 778

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Call Lava lite and ask for a warranty return 

Done did dat! Got a replacement and they didn't ask for this one back. So I figured l'd filter it.

Oh OK~!

Susan is good that way

you can try to filter it but I have only been mildly successful

coffee filters, etc.

I'd drain it and clean out the globe

Uese the heated water from the pan to flush out and clean the globe

I use one of those large bottle brushes to make sure it it clean

leave a tidbit of soapy water behind

heat the lava, and add.

let cool

add distilled water to 75/80% volume

heat lamp and slowly add propelyne glycol a bit at a time until you get the right specific gravity to float the lava

OR

Order Kirks glitter

A bit pricy for a grande but it looks awesome

You have three options:

1. Filter the liquid of it, by using a MSR water filterpump or one alike. Coffee filters wont work (at least not by my experience)

2. Redo the liquid from scratch but keep the goo. I've had good success with this approach. Im using destilled or demineralized water and added some Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulphate (SLES) around 40 - 60 ML depending on what kind of flow you want, and then added Fog fluid as it is basicly glycerin mixed with propylene glycol and costs so much less here. To be specific my Lava Grande with Red goo and clear liquid  has a specific gravity of 1,021 g/cm3, this can vary though 

3. GooKit it, which means completely redoing everything in the lamp, both goo and liquid. This i think Claude has much more experience with than i have (im just starting to learn it, and i must say it has not been the best experience)

Thanks for the replies!
I already purchased a filter, just wanting to know if I should try to flush out the globe prior to filtering the fluid back in?
If this doesn't work, then I will try a complete fluid change. Already got some fog juice for another lamp that bubbled up on me.

Thanks again!

I poured all the liquid out of the vase, and then filtered it back in

I would flush out the globe to remove any residue.  It shouldn't hurt anything.

Lenny said:

Thanks for the replies!
I already purchased a filter, just wanting to know if I should try to flush out the globe prior to filtering the fluid back in?
If this doesn't work, then I will try a complete fluid change. Already got some fog juice for another lamp that bubbled up on me.

Thanks again!

AGREED!

It wont hurt either,if use

some clear dish-soap to clean it and you leave some residual behind.

It will stop any sticking

Same as SLES

Keith said:

I would flush out the globe to remove any residue.  It shouldn't hurt anything.

Lenny said:

Thanks for the replies!

Thanks again!
Copy that guys.
I will proceed wit cautium!
I wouldn't clean the glass at all. Drain fully with wax in place, filter with 2 micron water filter....screw coffee filters thet don't work....then put filtered fluid back. Anytime you get the glass too clean you have more liklihood of sticking wax. Been there done that!!!!
TY OG, TY Pure Easy...oh and LL!!
Will only let me attach one pic at a time?
Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service