Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Where do most of you find your rare lamps? Flea Markets, Estate Sales, do you trade/ buy from each other, or do you visit all the Ebay sites in all the different countries? I thought my collection was nice but after seeing some of the stuff you all have, I'm honestly mesmerized. I want to know your secret! That is, if anyone's willing to share :-D

Views: 676

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I got lucky and found my '73 Coach Lantern in a small shop that sells "props & antiques". Lucky not only that I found it but that I got a really good deal on it and that it re-awakened my interest in Lava Lamps. Being a child in the 70's I fondly remember Lavas and motion lamps of all types and had a Wave for many years when I was young. I bought a Lava Lamp on the cheap at a local flea market last year but the Coach got the interest going and brought me to this site. While not rare per-se, I got my Grande in a package with 2 others from Craigslist and now that I have the 3 of the 4 different purple/yellow sizes, I must find an 8 oz. As I type this I have the 6 that I own turned on, listening to classical guitar music via Pandora and am very grateful that I found that lantern lamp. I can't wait to read what replies will follow.

I got my best stuff from members here and eBay. I have virtually NO luck getting anything good or rare locally. 

Stick around long enough and you too can score some nice stuff. :)

I will say that it depends on the state you live in. Iowa seems to be DEAD for lava! LOL

For me it's been flea markets, yard sales, antique stores.  I check ebay regularly but have never bought lava there, I don't like the cost and hazards of shipping. I also check craigslist through RSS feeds for local cities.  I don't have anything especially rare, but I have gotten some very nice lamps, mostly 90's.  

I'm a relatively new collector/hobbyist, and I've managed to amass over 60 lamps (OMG, someone help me) in two months. Ebay is my source.  I've also found a few at the Goodwill, Craigslist, and OG.  

I'm on vacation this week, so I've been checking out my local antique malls and small towns -- I have yet to find a single lava lamp.  Not sure why, but maybe they aren't "antique" enough for dealers?  

I haven't done garage sales yet, anyone have any luck there?

Most antique stores I went to didn't have lava lamps. I don't think they are old enough for a lot of places or were considered tacky or not valuable. 

I have not had luck at any garage sales. I live in Central Missouri and Craigslist seems to be a bust too. I keep telling myself I need to pack up and move to the UK because they have everything! Alot of my stuff has come from Ebay. I've never had any issues there and it's been a good overall experience. The sellers have had enough sense to package VERY WELL and everything has always arrived intact and as described. I'm going to have to start making offers to some of the people that are offering things for sale on OG. There are so many different things I am looking for to add to my collection!

I have picked up a few at antique stores but a lot of times they are WAY overpriced, if they are even available.  Certainly not my first choice.

Erin said:

Most antique stores I went to didn't have lava lamps. I don't think they are old enough for a lot of places or were considered tacky or not valuable. 

I have had decent luck at yard sales but you need to go early and to a lot of them.  A couple of years ago we went to the flea market at Grand Prairie, TX and I got 5 lamps for $20, including 2 rockets, then went to Crandall to answer a Craiglist add and picked up a blue/yellow Grande for about $40 or $45.  But at over 300 mile round trip from southern OK it was a LONG day. lol

Kirk said:

I'm a relatively new collector/hobbyist, and I've managed to amass over 60 lamps (OMG, someone help me) in two months. Ebay is my source.  I've also found a few at the Goodwill, Craigslist, and OG.  

I'm on vacation this week, so I've been checking out my local antique malls and small towns -- I have yet to find a single lava lamp.  Not sure why, but maybe they aren't "antique" enough for dealers?  

I haven't done garage sales yet, anyone have any luck there?

My primary collecting hobby is game-used NHL hockey sticks (also difficult to find and even more so at a reasonable price just like Lavas) and I had to look at the travel expense on top of the item price. I will pay $50 for a $50 item (if I haaaave to!) but I won't drive 100 miles round trip to get just one piece and have it run me $100 when all is said and done. But the thrill of the hunt and the story that goes with it when you find that treasure is the payoff. Let's face it. If everything we wanted was at every store we stop at, it just wouldn't be fun.

For us a trip to Walmart is and 80 mile round trip. lol

Rudy said:

My primary collecting hobby is game-used NHL hockey sticks (also difficult to find and even more so at a reasonable price just like Lavas) and I had to look at the travel expense on top of the item price. I will pay $50 for a $50 item (if I haaaave to!) but I won't drive 100 miles round trip to get just one piece and have it run me $100 when all is said and done. But the thrill of the hunt and the story that goes with it when you find that treasure is the payoff. Let's face it. If everything we wanted was at every store we stop at, it just wouldn't be fun.
Well that's different then! I'm in a suburban area that's between 2 major cities so I'm somewhat spoiled that way. But I usually seem to be just far enough away that its not worth the ride.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service