Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hi guys,

today i wanted to use my dead smart astro base to build a normal bulb astro out of it.

Before i started i took a closer look on the electricity of the smart astro and found out why the lamp was not running anymore. Its very simple to repair and you dont need any new parts for it.

Does anybody have a dead smart astro too?

Any need for a short instruction?

Views: 1612

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Please post what you found.

Ok ;)

Its very easy to fix. But i dont know if this will work on any dead smart Astro. Mine didnt glow and heat.

All you need is:

- electric soldering iron

- soldering tin

I found out that this little part is burned. I think it is the fuse. I dont think that we really need a fuse on a 12V Lamp which anyway is not working anymore ;)

You can test to bridge it with a scew driver and you will see that the Lamp is working.

When you are soldering the bridge with the tin, the little part will get off the board, but you dont need this anymore. Just get a bridge like you see on the picture.

I am not an electrician. All you do is on your own risk ;)

I'm an electronics engineer, and this looks like a fuse to me, 3A rating, these are available on Ebay, amongst other places. search for "3a SMD Fuse". 12v supply or not, don't just link the fuse out, a fault such as a short circuit in the lamp could result in the power supply or the lamp overheating, and lead to a fire hazard. Thanks for the post though, 3A at 12v = 36W, I would expect the lamp to run with a consumption of around 30W, same as an ordinary incandescent reflector bulb Astro, so the fuse will be running quite close to it's rated current of 3A, in a hot environment, so this could become a fairly common failure.

The problem is that i think that the new fuse will burn out too...

Is it possible to use any other kind of a 3A fuse? Maybe a bigger one which can be changed from the outside?

Marcel said:

t probably won't straight away, since you've already proved that the lamp works otherwise. It's rare for a piece of electronic or electrical equipment that is otherwise working to draw a higher current than it should. The fuse probably failed without another fault being present since it is being run close to it's rated current in a hot environment, eventually a replacement might fail for the same reason, but should last just as long as the original. I don't know how hot the electronics in the base of a Smart Astro gets, I don't have one, but the fuse rating of 3A is usually quoted at 25 degrees C. At a higher temperature, the fuse rating will be less, and the fuse manufacturers will publish derating curves, so that a fuse may be 3A at 25 degrees, but derated by 10% at say 60 degrees, eg. 2.7A

Can i use a simple Fuse like this?

You at least need to put a fuse in there, because if something goes wrong the thing could catch on fire or something else could go bad, and then you have a much bigger problem on your hands. I wish I could look at a new smart astro and see the rating on the fuse. Try replacing it with a 4 amp fuse. Keep in mind the fuse blew for a reason. It could be something as simple as they should have put a 4 amp fuse in, or it could be a defect that will set fire to the lamp.

Marcel said:

Is it possible to use any other kind of a 3A fuse? Maybe a bigger one which can be changed from the outside?

Yes, but why? Just get the right kind of fuse. Plus I dont think those fuses get smaller than 5 amps, but I may be wrong.

Marcel said:

because i dont want to open the Lamp everytime the fuse is dead ;)

And its not easy to get the new fuse on the board... i was not able to fix it with the old fuse so i had to remove it complete.

This is a car fuse, designed to prevent car wiring looms bursting into flames, not to protect sensitive electronic components, even a 3A fuse of this type is likely to have different fusing characteristics (time/current), than the SMD fuse, so any future fault would be likely to damage other components and make repair more difficult. Best to get the correct fuse, (measure the old one physically to work out whether you need a 1206 or 0603 component).

Marcel said:

I second this. If you dont know what you are doing and you are going against the advice of people who know what they are talking about you are setting yourself up for failure.

$.77

http://www.newark.com/littelfuse/0451003-mrl/fuse-smd-3a-fast-actin...

Its an easy fit, just melt the solder, wick it away, put the fuse down and solder it back on. Dont be lazy, you are fixing a lamp that costs $130.

stevemo said:

This is a car fuse, designed to prevent car wiring looms bursting into flames, not to protect sensitive electronic components, even a 3A fuse of this type is likely to have different fusing characteristics (time/current), than the SMD fuse, so any future fault would be likely to damage other components and make repair more difficult. Best to get the correct fuse, (measure the old one physically to work out whether you need a 1206 or 0603 component).

Marcel said:

I think you guys are right ;) I will get a new correct fuse for it :)

I hope that Lavalamps like the smart astro will not be the future... too sad that we really have to talk about such electricity parts in a lava lamp community ;)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2020   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service