Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hi guys,

today i wanted to use my dead smart astro base to build a normal bulb astro out of it.

Before i started i took a closer look on the electricity of the smart astro and found out why the lamp was not running anymore. Its very simple to repair and you dont need any new parts for it.

Does anybody have a dead smart astro too?

Any need for a short instruction?

Views: 1612

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To anyone with a 'Dead' Smart Astro, PLEASE EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION IF YOU DO CHOOSE TO OPEN IT UP AND TINKER AROUND.

IT IS BEST TO CONSULT A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN OR TRY TO GET A REPLACEMENT FROM MATHMOS DIRECT!!!

Be safe!

AC

Does this 3a fuse fix the led problem or the heat plate problem or both. I just have a heat plate not getting hot enough to melt the wax.

Has anyone ever had dead LED or flickering LED issues? Heat plate works fine. I have a red to blue smart astro and the blue leds don't work most of time but once in a while I see them on. The red leds work and but then sometimes they flicker like crazy. I've been considering a total gutting of the base's leds and adding a LED bulb with remote.

Sounds like the LEDs are failing. One reason why the new LED lights sold to replace CFLs have such a short life span is because of the heat.

Before you gut the entire thing you should probably try replacing the LEDs. You can get them for really cheap and soldering isn't very hard. You could even do them in different colors if you feel adventurous.

Hmm I might try that.as well if this fails. I bought the wiring and bulb already and they both seem small enough to work in there. Even if I have to make it work from a different power source I think it would be better to be able to make it whatever color I want.

This would be so cool... good luck with it Dr WHAT?!

Dr. WHAT?! said:

Hmm I might try that.as well if this fails. I bought the wiring and bulb already and they both seem small enough to work in there. Even if I have to make it work from a different power source I think it would be better to be able to make it whatever color I want.

Well it seems that my smart astro is not heating up the globe anymore. Its warm but it doesnt flow. I did find this post ( http://oozinggoo.ning.com/forum/topics/lava-lamp-newb-with-s ) about the chip board but I wonder if its just easier to wire the heat plate to the power supply and try to get this rgb bulb working.

Has anyone tinkered with their broken smart astro yet?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2020   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service