Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I would love to add a Gemlite glitter to my collection but they go way to high for me on Ebay. Two of my favorite models are going today and they are at $500.00. Are the Gemlites rare and really worth that much? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CONTINENTAL-1981-GEMLITE-GLITTER-LA...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CONTINENTAL-1981-GEMLITE-GLITTER-LA...

Views: 546

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are a couple of people who are really hell-bent on getting these so they go for astronomical amounts of money.

No, I don't think they're worth that, but it all depends who's bidding. 

I have one I'm considering selling to finance some home improvements projects. :) PM me and we can talk. And no, I'm not looking to get $600+ for mine. ;)

But to answer your other question, yes, they are somewhat rare, esp new in box like that. ;)

Yeah, depends. The rare GemLites are the Confetti models, cylindrical with a flared base; 650 (silver) is rare, but the 642 and 643 (silver glitter, black base, pink or blue liquid) are very rare and I've never seen a 700 (brass base, gold glitter in clear)!

The GemLamp, which is 650 Confetti on a chrome base with a table lamp over the top, is also very rare.

In my opinion, there's no way these are worth over $600!! But we do have a few collectors who all have a checklist of what they want, and will battle to get these lamps at any cost.

Thanks Jonas, did you happen to see the Continental with the angled top and bottom that went for $1,300 buy it now.

Great info as always Jonas. Your knowledge on these types of lamp is invaluable.

Thanks, Modulo! BIN on a Continental for $1300?? My jaw just crashed into the ground and popped out in China!! The diagonal cuts are normal on that model, though, one never sees it with straight cuts.

If one wants a truly rare GemLite, I'd put my money on the Confetti models introduced in addition to the 650 in 1990 and discontinued in 1992: the 642 and 643 (black base, silver glitter, hot pink and dark blue liquid respectively) are very rare, and the 700 (brass base, gold glitter, clear liquid) has never been seen! The GemLamp (650 with table lamp) is rare. Also the Continental 853 and 856 (never been seen) which I believe are supposed to be silver glitter, colored liquid - they're listed on a 1987 price sheet with DISCONTINUED over the info, with the actual details covered by the word actually edited out so you can't tell what those were (the 850 says "multi-color effect" and "clear" liquid, and since the other two say "silver" under glitter I assume they had colored liquid)

...now I'm almost tempted to try to trade my 850 - which has been refilled with modern glitter, silver in purple liquid, but is still very cool.

Jonas, I'm adding your notes to the Gemlite page in the lava library! :)

Jonas Clark-Elliott said:

Thanks, Modulo! BIN on a Continental for $1300?? My jaw just crashed into the ground and popped out in China!! The diagonal cuts are normal on that model, though, one never sees it with straight cuts.

If one wants a truly rare GemLite, I'd put my money on the Confetti models introduced in addition to the 650 in 1990 and discontinued in 1992: the 642 and 643 (black base, silver glitter, hot pink and dark blue liquid respectively) are very rare, and the 700 (brass base, gold glitter, clear liquid) has never been seen! The GemLamp (650 with table lamp) is rare. Also the Continental 853 and 856 (never been seen) which I believe are supposed to be silver glitter, colored liquid - they're listed on a 1987 price sheet with DISCONTINUED over the info, with the actual details covered by the word actually edited out so you can't tell what those were (the 850 says "multi-color effect" and "clear" liquid, and since the other two say "silver" under glitter I assume they had colored liquid)

...now I'm almost tempted to try to trade my 850 - which has been refilled with modern glitter, silver in purple liquid, but is still very cool.

Thanks! I forgot one more-- the Capri series GemLite was the "International" model 450. Silver base, silver/clear.

That was my Gemlite that went for $1300.  It all worked according to plan.  Promised my wife that I would sell as many lamps as necessary to fund a Colossus.  I only had to part with this one lamp. Great lamp and would love to own another in the future, but delighted I flipped it for a Colossus.

Brent said:

Thanks Jonas, did you happen to see the Continental with the angled top and bottom that went for $1,300 buy it now.

I've been selling some of my lamps, too, due to the insane prices they've been going for lately. I don't think I can part with my Florence Art lamps though! 

Jim said:

That was my Gemlite that went for $1300.  It all worked according to plan.  Promised my wife that I would sell as many lamps as necessary to fund a Colossus.  I only had to part with this one lamp. Great lamp and would love to own another in the future, but delighted I flipped it for a Colossus.

Brent said:

I might sell something... see what it goes for.

Thanks for all the EX. Info Jonas. Great stuff for a Newbie.

Definitely a seller’s market. Not a good time to be a new collector but it makes it more fun to search the local thrift’s, flea markets and g-sales looking for a Gemlite. I’m glad to know the first one I would like to get isn’t super rare but no way can I afford $1,300.00. Congrats on that Jim!    Gotta love the free market. 

This lamp is kind of cool. Does anyone know who made it? http://www.ebay.com/itm/MID-CENTURY-MODERN-GLITTER-GOLD-FLECK-Lamp-...  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service