Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

New BIG lava lamp from Mathmos. Yep even bigger than the IO. 

Go tl their website and look at their youtube channel for 3 videos. 

Looks a lot like the Crestworth princess. But not as classy. Looks like only 1 colour too. Yellow with Red wax. Movement looks sluggish, nothing like the princess. 

Too big for me and probably expensive too. 

What are your thoughts? 

Views: 1915

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You must live fairly near to us lol, exact copy of our weather. 

MonsoonStorm said:

Ah, the incredible majority of people don't have aircon in the UK.  Honestly, where I live (North) there's not a huge amount of "summer" lol, anything above 25C (77F) is cause for celebration, anything above 30C (86F) is very rare.  The biggest reason for me not bothering with the lamps in summer is that we only get maybe 4 hrs of dark at the peak of summer!  Having said that, I think I'm part lizard as I'm always cold.

Interesting discussion about lava lamps vs/ energy efficiency, it does makes you wonder about the future of lava lamps and what, if anything, Mathmos may be doing to adapt in the age of impending climate doom, since they seem to have given up on the ‘smart astro’ concept which used a separate heating element paired with LEDs.

They currently have a ‘special purpose’ exemption to use halogen bulbs which are otherwise illegal to sell in the UK due to their inefficiency, but this presumably won’t last forever, and what then…?

Could the humble lava lamp one day be deemed an unnecessary extravagance?

Would like to see the return of glitters also,
(it seems mad to me that Mathmos stopped selling them and effectively handed the market to the off-brands) they only require a small amount of heat to flow, and only take a few minutes to get moving, so, unlike lava lamps, can be turned on/off as desired without it being too detrimental to its operation, I wonder if they could possibly even be adapted to run on LED bulbs, since many do emit a small amount of heat from the drivers 'stepping down' the voltage.

Re glitter and LEDs, there is another member (not been on for ages...) who mixes his own glitter MF, and has assured me he can run the consequent mix on LEDs - it's certainly possible.

It's something for lamp designers to think about, I'm surprised nobody has done it yet for mainstream production. The Fireflow 01 runs a glitter bottle on a tea light candle, so anything is possible. 

andy ross said:

Re glitter and LEDs, there is another member (not been on for ages...) who mixes his own glitter MF, and has assured me he can run the consequent mix on LEDs - it's certainly possible.

The Goolamp GL 200 Lamp (150cm tall, bottle 20cm diameter and 20L liquid) runs with a 35w led ;-) The smaller J1 Lamp too.

Susan said:

It's something for lamp designers to think about, I'm surprised nobody has done it yet for mainstream production. The Fireflow 01 runs a glitter bottle on a tea light candle, so anything is possible. 

andy ross said:

Mathmos also thought about building a lamp with 4 legs .......

andy ross said:

Jezza - thought you said four legs?

Christian said:

andy ross said:

Christian said:

andy ross said:

Christian said:

Christian said:

andy ross said:

I prefer it with four legs (although Hubby likes the lamp with three legs)  The legs closer together would look less rocket like, so they were not as much of a feature. I also prefer it without the holes in the metal legs. Finally it would have been great to hide the cable down one leg. That's my personal preference though. It has grown on me this lamp though. But it depends on how much it will cost and also what wattage it runs at before I decide to purchase one. But I'll have to work on Hubby, as it doesn't match our house decor at all. 

WHO is Hubby……….? Replace him :). 

Susan said:

Ich bevorzuge es mit vier Beinen (obwohl Hubby die Lampe mit drei Beinen mag). Die Beine, die näher beieinander sind, würden weniger raketenartig aussehen, also waren sie nicht so sehr ein Merkmal. Ich bevorzuge es auch ohne die Löcher in den Metallbeinen. Endlich wäre es toll gewesen, das Kabel ein Bein hinunter zu verstecken. Das ist aber meine persönliche Präferenz. Es ist aber auf mir diese Lampe gewachsen. Aber es hängt davon ab, wie viel es kosten wird und auch, mit welcher Leistung es läuft, bevor ich mich entscheide, eine zu kaufen. Aber ich muss an Hubby arbeiten, da es überhaupt nicht zu unserer Hausdekoration passt.

haha made me laugh that :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Mark Goo created this Ning Network.

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2021   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service