Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

New BIG lava lamp from Mathmos. Yep even bigger than the IO. 

Go tl their website and look at their youtube channel for 3 videos. 

Looks a lot like the Crestworth princess. But not as classy. Looks like only 1 colour too. Yellow with Red wax. Movement looks sluggish, nothing like the princess. 

Too big for me and probably expensive too. 

What are your thoughts? 

Views: 1930

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

After the leg design the wire on show is the second thing I don't like. 

andy ross said:

Maybe some kind of wire guide to hide the cable, run it down a leg discreetly?

Since this one has steampunky vibes already, I think this would have looked better in a similar colourscheme to the black copper telstar.  Copper legs and black body, move beyond the "space" theme.

Jezza is also right about the running costs, I am increasingly conscious of the electricity consumption of my lamps.  Haven't been using my astros so much lately.  I would imagine it will be in mathmos' interest to start looking at ways to scale the neo up so that all of their lamps consume less power.

This is something that's always bothered me about the telstars too tbh.

andy ross said:

Maybe some kind of wire guide to hide the cable, run it down a leg discreetly?

Call me tight, but running costs is the reason we let most of our collection go in the first place. We have two that we display and we only put them on now and again. We tend to use our LED Solar 250 for lighting effects the most, it's cheaper to run and produces more of an effect and works instantly. But it's personal preference I guess. 

You're not tight just savvy. We've all got to think about rising energy costs. I haven't used my neo walls or astros in months. My io only gets a fortnighly outing when I'm feeling in need of some lava therapy. Even then now it's getting colder she takes an age to get going. There's a rude joke in there somewhere. 

The biggest worry is spiraling energy costs for businesses. Lava lamps might just become a thing of the past if things get too nasty. 

It's not just the monetary cost, I worry the most about the cost to the planet. We used our two lamps for the heat up time plus three hours last week, first time since we purchased the vinyl astro.

I didn’t realize UK electrical costs were so high. Maybe the candle powered lamps are the way to go?

Keep in mind though that running your electric lamps during the colder months, where you have to heat the house anyway, is the way to go since one has to use energy to heat with…running a Lava Lamp generates heat. So in its own small way a Lava Lamp helps heat the house.  So fall and winter are the most energy efficient times of the year to run your lamp.  

Someone on here had candle lamps for sale recently?

Our electricity/gas provider went bust recently, so we have been transferred to a different supplier by Ofgem and the cost has shot up for us. There's no cheap deals to move to at the moment, given the UK energy issues. We did have a really good fixed rate deal, so we are going to see our cost nearly double, plus as it's now not a fixed rate it will shoot up again by a few hundred given the current crisis. But even so, I've never liked the warm up time for lava lamps, it always seems like the wasted energy time for me. Take the heat up time of a Astro lamp for instance, even in our heated house in Winter ours take at least four hours to move. 

I'm the one selling a candle powered lamp lol. It's a great lamp, but I only had one place to put it and it doesn't look right there. Plus although it produces a really great flow, the wax does not illuminate like a full sized lava lamp does, and for me the illuminated wax of a lava lamp is the best part. That's just personal preference though, it looks great in the day. Anyway if it doesn't sell I'm going to get it back out and use it. I have a huge stash of tea lights lol. 

They are about to get a whole lot higher too.

We've had 12 energy firms go bust in the past month.  Prices are high in Europe in general at the minute, but then a huge cable that supplies us with power from France was damaged which means there is even less to go around, they reckon it won't be fixed until around March.  There have been rumours of potential brown/blackouts this winter, impossible to know whether it's media hype or the govt attempting to soften the blow of an actual impending issue with one of their many "leaks".

Gas prices (natural gas used by cookers/heating systems, not the petrol used by cars) have also rocketed which is something to do with Russia I believe.  Basically, it's going to be a really shitty winter.  The heat put out by the lamps would nowhere near offset the cost of running them, although I do justify using the ones on my desk this way as I am sitting about 50cm away from them (one on each side of my monitor), and the room that my desk is in is particularly cold.  Most of the country uses gas for central heating wherever it's possible due to it being much cheaper and more efficient than electricity.

Critter said:

I didn’t realize UK electrical costs were so high. Maybe the candle powered lamps are the way to go?

Keep in mind though that running your electric lamps during the colder months, where you have to heat the house anyway, is the way to go since one has to use energy to heat with…running a Lava Lamp generates heat. So in its own small way a Lava Lamp helps heat the house.  So fall and winter are the most energy efficient times of the year to run your lamp.  

I do have a couple of the candle powered ones, Mathmos sell them.  It is an alright solution and they do heat up much quicker, they give off pretty much no light though and you're supposed to let them cool down after 4 hrs as they do run much, much hotter than the other lamps.  I tend to end up with pea-sized blobs rather than the nice snakes.

Plus then there's the candle costs ;)

andy ross said:

Someone on here had candle lamps for sale recently?

The fireflow and pods are great little lamps imo. It's just the colours have been very ill thought out. The brightest is yellow orange and blue yellow. But they get darker from then on. The pink blue is a complete waste of time. Violet pink and violet orange are hoth quite dark and are distracted by the flicker of the flame. 

I liked the idea of white wax. I think this would have worked very well with coloured masterfluid. 

Astros take an age to get going in this cold weather. So does the io. Neos wont work at all if theyre in a cold room. The best ones for a quick start are the baby and telstar and work quite well in a colder room. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Mark Goo created this Ning Network.

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2021   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service