Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Giant on the way - dented base and slightly low fluid - need help

I have a lovely Giant on the way from eBay. The base has a dent in it and the fluid is a tad low. 

I'm looking for help getting that dent out of the base, as it looks to be significant.

Also, and I'm not real keen on opening up a Giant, but the fluid is a little low, and I'd like to top it off. I know these were made in 1996/1997 and I am willing to find and sacrifice a globe to top this off. I'm always scared of using distilled in case it ruins the flow.

If anyone has any advice on either of these issues, please share! :)

Thanks in advance! 

Views: 2197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes. I've opened almost every year in the 90s lol

Gotcha. OK. So has anyone here topped off a Giant?

Right! I really get it now, thanks for putting that up Autumn.

The first time around I only saw the photo and thought Erin had found a Scandinavian advert and photo shopped it.

I got the ‘oh my god bit’ but never took much notice of the rest of the text.
When I looked at it here again, I ‘got’ it, but thought it was some kind of valley girl talk type of thing.

I ‘get’ the retainer thing now (we call them braces here) although 'retainer' is creeping into our vernacular.

I guess it has lost its comedic edge a bit for you guys now, but its hilariously new to me.

Autumn said:

Actually it is not normal. Two of the three giants I own have had liquid levels much closer to the cap. One even has liquid that reaches the cap. For example...

The cap can be removed by prying apart the metal on the clamp. I was never able to put it back on so I used a very large zip tie to secure the cap back on the lamp. Just make sure to pull the zip tie until your hands bleed to make sure its sealed properly. With the amount of liquid missing I think you should use actual formula. Clear, and purple liquid will work without changing the color.

As for the dent the spoon method does indeed work well. I have fixed many dents on giants and grandes by doing this. Roll the spoon, don't slide it.

Oh and the ermahgerd girl... they found out who she is and she posted an adult photo of herself.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ermahgerd

Critter said:

Erin,

That is a normal fill for a Giant it is not low. If you want to cover more of the air space paint a Grande lid black and use it, they are taller than the Giant cap.

Critter

Im still waiting on a email back from LL about the liquid Erin

If u ever feel the need to sell that Autumn =) think MM =)!!! I used a hose clamp to reseal mine. The zip tie is a great idea to! LOL I can send u some flex cuffs erin =). And lamp head told me about this thermal bond tape. I forget the name now!! But it sounded like a extra measure to make that thing 100% sealed.

Autumn said:

Actually it is not normal. Two of the three giants I own have had liquid levels much closer to the cap. One even has liquid that reaches the cap. For example...

The cap can be removed by prying apart the metal on the clamp. I was never able to put it back on so I used a very large zip tie to secure the cap back on the lamp. Just make sure to pull the zip tie until your hands bleed to make sure its sealed properly. With the amount of liquid missing I think you should use actual formula. Clear, and purple liquid will work without changing the color.

As for the dent the spoon method does indeed work well. I have fixed many dents on giants and grandes by doing this. Roll the spoon, don't slide it.

Oh and the ermahgerd girl... they found out who she is and she posted an adult photo of herself.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ermahgerd

Critter said:

Erin,

That is a normal fill for a Giant it is not low. If you want to cover more of the air space paint a Grande lid black and use it, they are taller than the Giant cap.

Critter

Thanks Trevor - I appreciate that you did that for me! I have a feeling we know more than LL does though. ;)

LAMP ARRIVES TODAY!!!

Metallica man Trevor said:

Im still waiting on a email back from LL about the liquid Erin

LOL it could be why its taking so long to get back to me! there like ummmmmmmmmm

I know!

GIANT IS HERE! I'm at work, but it's at home. I'm dying. 

I'll grab it for u =)

OMG, tell em you have diarrhea and go home!!!   Pics tonight!!  (of the lamp)  Run to the potty several times and just flush.  If you're gonna tell a white lie about having anything, diarrhea is the least of the plagues you can fling on yourself by lying.  LOL

YAY, Giant is here!!!!   So happy for you, Erin!!

Erin said:

I know!

OMG Libby - LOL. I'm actually going home for lunch, so I'm firing it up then. Then when I got home at five, MAGIC LAVA LAMP TIME!!!

Marley's Ghost said:

OMG, tell em you have diarrhea and go home!!!   Pics tonight!!  (of the lamp)  Run to the potty several times and just flush.  If you're gonna tell a white lie about having anything, diarrhea is the least of the plagues you can fling on yourself by lying.  LOL

YAY, Giant is here!!!!   So happy for you, Erin!!

Erin said:

I know!

Just  a little "suggestion."   LOL   I think I am as excited about you getting the Giant as you are!!!!    All's fair in love and war!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service