Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Giant on the way - dented base and slightly low fluid - need help

I have a lovely Giant on the way from eBay. The base has a dent in it and the fluid is a tad low. 

I'm looking for help getting that dent out of the base, as it looks to be significant.

Also, and I'm not real keen on opening up a Giant, but the fluid is a little low, and I'd like to top it off. I know these were made in 1996/1997 and I am willing to find and sacrifice a globe to top this off. I'm always scared of using distilled in case it ruins the flow.

If anyone has any advice on either of these issues, please share! :)

Thanks in advance! 

Views: 2197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know, and it concerns me some, but not enough to run them. ;)  lol

Erin said:

I'm not sure there. It must sit right below the globe. Maybe a few millimeters from the base of the globe. I didn't hear a noise when I set the globe on the base, so it might not be touching. Many of my lamps are like that - bulb just a hair or two below the globe. 

Nothing's exploded on me yet!

Yeah the bulb on mine is very close to the globe as well. It won't run at all without an extender on the grande base. The giants are hand blown glass from Germany. Different than the grande globe.

Oops, I meant not enough to NOT run them

Keith said:

I know, and it concerns me some, but not enough to run them. ;)  lol

I've been out of town for most of the past week - haven't had time to deal with it. Plus, with the hot weather does not make me want to fire up a super hot lamp. 

FIRE!!! Maybe that's the trick! =) heat that puppy up!!! U can build a fire right in the base lol

I will run it when i get home. I don't feel like dealing with this stupid lamp anymore. 

erin!  you were soo excited about it arriving too.  let's make it awesome.  either run the crap out of it in a closet, or open it and add some salt to make the wax rise.  i hate to see you sad.

I don't know that it's fixable. It's just a lamp - I'm not sad, really. I just haven't had the time to devote to running it or taking it apart. I'm not giving up... just have no time right now. 

Sit it down and tell it, HEY!!!! If you don't shape u I'm going to send you to china for a refill. That should scare it straight lol =)

Hello I you have a stubborn giant! Try wrapping the base with a thick towel. cover the entire lamp for a while.

I have had to swap the bases around between giants because all bases are not created equal for some reason.

LOL I'll see how that goes! 

Metallica Fluidium man Trevor said:

Sit it down and tell it, HEY!!!! If you don't shape u I'm going to send you to china for a refill. That should scare it straight lol =)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service