Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Recent acquisitions from distributor buyout
FYI. Colossus base is being polished and clear-coated with chrome plating of lunar.

Views: 1140

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looking good claudiness maximus!

Thanks

It's been a lot of work

Just waiting for more parts to arrive to complete them, and run long term testing, then some color change lamps will be for sale

I also have an abundance of bases/caps i can part with

I didn't put the IR in the base :) the LED ring's cord was long enough to stretch thru the power cord hole with the power cord. I just remove the black plastic stopper to fit that 6 pin cord thru. The IR sits outside the base so I can change the colors pretty easily.

Claude J said:

they work great!

Get what you pay for

The second from the left will be changed out to a decent RF remote as it can only be changed when the bottle is off because the RF signal is weak

These remotes are triple the cost but have strong signal and varied settings for fade or solid colors

I have not figured out how the slide color setting works yet (reading the directions might help) LOL\

And doing a grande is much easier than a Small Heritage

I do'nt know how you fit a transformer, RF receiver/controller, and socket all in that small base and stayed sane.

I'm have a difficult time with the ones i have

Its like assembling a ship model in a bottle

Going to have to be a IR receiver (with small hole in front for the detector) as the cheaper RF remotes are not strong enough to penetrate the aluminum base with RF and there is no room for a decent one

I might put a 12V socket in rear and use external cube transformer to save room and avoid heat damage

Both transformers/drivers in the heritages (2) died already because of heating from the reptile heater.

One exploded the globe because my heat shield was too focused.

I've had no heat, component failure, or operational issues with the grande thus far and can assemble on within an hour and have plenty of room for components

Aww... thats cheating,.. 

gotta keep the HESCO cord restraint in

I'm going to try to install a jack for a transformer cube in back and hole with grommet in front of base for the IR

here is the inside of the grande.

right now I'm playing balancing act to get the perfect distance from heater to glass

And believe me, 1/4" makes a huge difference between flow and no flow

Dr. WHAT?! said:

I didn't put the IR in the base :) the LED ring's cord was long enough to stretch thru the power cord hole with the power cord. I just remove the black plastic stopper to fit that 6 pin cord thru. The IR sits outside the base so I can change the colors pretty easily.

Claude J said:

they work great!

Get what you pay for

The second from the left will be changed out to a decent RF remote as it can only be changed when the bottle is off because the RF signal is weak

These remotes are triple the cost but have strong signal and varied settings for fade or solid colors

I have not figured out how the slide color setting works yet (reading the directions might help) LOL\

I do'nt know how you fit a transformer, RF receiver/controller, and socket all in that small base and stayed sane.

Going to have to be a IR receiver (with small hole in front for the detector) as the cheaper RF remotes are not strong enough to penetrate the aluminum base with RF and there is no room for a decent one

I might put a 12V socket in rear and use external cube transformer to save room and avoid heat damage

Both transformers/drivers in the heritages (2) died already because of heating from the reptile heater.

I've had no heat, component failure, or operational issues with the grande thus far and can assemble on within an hour and have plenty of room for components

Well your way is definitely a lot cleaner of a install then mine lol

Claude J said:

Aww... thats cheating,.. 

gotta keep the HESCO cord restraint in

I'm going to try to install a jack for a transformer cube in back and hole with grommet in front of base for the IR

here is the inside of the grande.

right now I'm playing balancing act to get the perfect distance from heater to glass

And believe me, 1/4" makes a huge difference between flow and no flow

Dr. WHAT?! said:

Claude J said:

they work great!

Get what you pay for

Thanks

Recent production line of grande color change globes

! quart per globe-Dye added when heating

2 Coils to Guarantee flow

Heating to eliminate Bubbles

I wish you do my empty bottle :p

Looking good by the way!

What do you want to do?

I have tons of new  Lava Light goo in red

I can regoo it provided you have a  good CAP or send you goo in mason jar

I can send you a red or green glitter globe +$ in exchange for your empty (+ a good cap)

kero48 said:

Looking good by the way!

Were those goo kits purchased recently? Its been a long time since I've bought a gookit, the last couple I did get just sucked and had issues of all sorts. They definitely weren't as good as they were back in the day. Curious to see if they got their act together again.

I have no issue with goo kits provided I DO NOT use the microwave to heat it.

When in water bath, I make sure ALL of it is heated even if I am not using it all so its consistent

Each Grande uses a full Quart ( gets expensive)

When adding it,  I drop the hot goo into the distilled water/surf solution, so there is no sticking

Its tricky cause you have to keep moving the tube at the end of the funnel around otherwise wants to clog.

As you see in the pics, I heat them afterwards to get everything floating and remove the bubbles 

it also gives it a even consistency

you still get some goo that become floaters but it minimizes the amount

It not long and stringy like old lava goo, but works well

I've had 2 color changing grande's running 24/7 for 4 days now without issue.

time to box them up and finish the rest as soon as the mailman arrives here with the remainder of the components.

I'l probably be putting a few of the silver bases on eBay (one is a gift to a client)

Just got done with a heritage and Astro base i had chromed in color conversion

What a complete pain in the @ss

Wish I could say the same about dependability and ease of construction

Heat shields are necessary as the controller has a tendency of melting

I used a 14" cap and cut the top off, took tin snips and made tabs that grip the porcelain socket to direct heat as well as insulation foil to protect components.

it seems the controller dont like too much heat (this was a music sensitive controller too)

I'll pm you to discuss!

Claude J said:

What do you want to do?

I have tons of new  Lava Light goo in red

I can regoo it provided you have a  good CAP or send you goo in mason jar

I can send you a red or green glitter globe +$ in exchange for your empty (+ a good cap)

kero48 said:

Looking good by the way!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service