Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Got em in the mail, in great shape, and look really cool.  One is painted green and red and the other is painted blue green and red on the bottom of the bottles.

The bottles are VODKA bottles.   LOL crazy russians and their vodka..  I think they are pretty damn cool.  I cut the plug ends off and soldered and heatshrinked an american plug on em and put a normal 40w bulb in that our lava lamps use and they immediatly started working..  OMG soo beautiful i love the larger glitter and the color of the painted glass on the bottom makes them look so much better then the entire globe being stained like the american lamps.

Someone mentioned to me that they move super slow... Not really... They move pretty quickly considering the size of the glitter.    Also the glitter in these lamps sink when cold.. not float like american glitter lamps, must be some special kind of glitter or some toxic ass formula in those bottles lol

Here are pics

Views: 664

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Love them!

Superb!

Hmm the white one flows for a little bit then the glitter hangs on the bottom around the outer edges of the bottle.  If i move the bottle itll flow again but then go back down to hanging around the outer circle of the bottle.  I wonder if this is because the bottle edges are sitting on the base of this and those edges arent see the light bulb.  Gonna have to try to figure this out.

Side note the white one is heavy !! The whole thing is steel and its thick as hell..  The thing weighs a ton for its size

Here isa video of the glitter lamps

https://youtu.be/sHP55IsoIa4

I've owned four and they've all been the same.

Now have one on display that's been refilled in the same style with Kirk's glitter.

Let me know if you figure something out though!

Jon said:

Hmm the white one flows for a little bit then the glitter hangs on the bottom around the outer edges of the bottle.  If i move the bottle itll flow again but then go back down to hanging around the outer circle of the bottle.  I wonder if this is because the bottle edges are sitting on the base of this and those edges arent see the light bulb.  Gonna have to try to figure this out.

Side note the white one is heavy !! The whole thing is steel and its thick as hell..  The thing weighs a ton for its size

Yea the white one with the lamp shade like top is the one doing it, The rocket ship one is fine, and flows immediatly and never had a speckle sitting on the bottom once it all gets in the liquid.   The other it all pools to one side.  The same side too,  The bulb is centered, i really suspect its what the glass bottle is sitting on, the rocket ship brown one has this metal ring that it sits on which i suspected allows heat to touch the whole bottle while also allowing it to have a base to sit on,  The other one doesnt have this and it sits on lamp itself if im making sense ?

If im not ill take pics.  I wonder if adding a metal ring or actually trimming the base to allow more of the bottle to be exposed to the light would help.

Here is a pic of what im talking about, the black is the base itself, the red ring is the bottle sitting on the base, the yellow is the bulb and white is open air.  The glitter tends to pool where the bottle sits on the black ring. 

BUT i could be wrong, since it seems to all pool on the same spot too in one corner i also suspect it might be due to a un-level surface.  I added a shim under the lamp in that spot and its actually flowing right now without me having to move it, but some of it still sits

Mark said:

I've owned four and they've all been the same.

Now have one on display that's been refilled in the same style with Kirk's glitter.

Let me know if you figure something out though!

Jon said:

That's great that the rocket one works consistently. Good to know.

Yes, the 'witches hat' model should have the metal ring as well, but have tried with and without and didn't make a difference.

Sounds to me like the master fluid is fried as in when the lamp heats up the glitter stops flowing. I've reduced temp by using a dimmer - no luck. Replace lower wattage bulb - no luck and there were many other trials. I finally gave up and replaced the master fluid with some other glitter lamps master fluid if it worked. It also could be in the design. I have glitter lamps shaped like women and when they heat up glitter slows to a crawl like only a few glitter flakes will float around and the rest float to the bottom and huddle. I've done everything including replacing with new glitter and fluid yet once they heat up the same thing happens again. I've not tried using LavaLite glitter but may try tonight since LavaLite glitter seems to work the best. This same thing is very common with Fantasia Glitter Graphics lamp. After these lamps heat up the glitter in the stops flowing and some flow like a pro. Real hit and miss. Very nice looking lamps. I've been collecting glitter lamps for a very long time. Perhaps it's time to start adding some of these designs to my collection. Thank you very much for posting.

it does it whwn cold too. some of it will move from when it settled in the middle of the bottle. but the stuff on the sides wont move unless i tilt the lamp a little.

I really suspect its due to the outer ring side not seeing the bulb... why would it flow like in my video up top.. But then stop as some and more and more glitter gets stuck on the outer ring of the bottle ?

Im try the metal ring in the other one. see if that help but based on what you said it probly wont

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service