Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I have a grande that acts like it's running cold. I can't find an R20 bulb over 100W. Is there another bulb option? I do have a dimmer switch if there is a higher wattage bulb option.

Views: 913

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You must be in the UK....it is not hard to find a 100 watt projector bulb for the Grande here state side. Lots of online vendors and misc hardware stores.
Live in the states. It seems like the 100w isn't getting the lamp hot enough. It takes most of the day to get warm enough to start flowing decent. Most of the time it just sputters small globs. Am thinking either this lamp needs more than 100w, the bulb needs to be closer to the globe, or a bigger diameter or more focused beam. If there isn't a cure, I might end up goo kiting it (it's a tad foggy anyway), but like to try all options before tearing it apart.

5 hours today for my heritage grande to start

Room temp says 75 degrees. Feels cooler than that in here. Maybe is just the weather, but my other grande acts normal. Will try a bulb extender this weekend and then try other options like a R25 or 125w R30 used for reptiles to get more focus and heat going. I don't think I should try a normal sized light bulb because they're not a focused light, but might be an option to try.

I think you're on the right track as long as the bulb fits without touching the globe, I think 1/4 is the proper distance.  A regular 100 watt bulb will not work as well as a R20, neither will a lower wattage R20.  I have tried both ;)

Brian said:

Room temp says 75 degrees. Feels cooler than that in here. Maybe is just the weather, but my other grande acts normal. Will try a bulb extender this weekend and then try other options like a R25 or 125w R30 used for reptiles to get more focus and heat going. I don't think I should try a normal sized light bulb because they're not a focused light, but might be an option to try.

My heritage and rainbow grandes both take about 6-7 hrs to get going.  My Grande from back in 2002 takes about 4.  I think the difference is the holes in the base on the heritage ones.  I haven't tried the rainbow one in a solid base yet to see if its any quicker.  

I had a bulb extender on the old Grande awhile ago before I switched to the heritage bases.  A word of caution:  if you do that be VERY CERTAIN that the bulb is NOT touching the bottom of the globe.  If it is...there is a strong chance the globe will crack.  I used some putty on top of the bulb in a small ball to confirm it was not touching.  You need an air gap between the 2.  That being said...the extender will shorten warm up times, but I found that I'd then have to dim it down some once it got going.  

Bought both in 2007 the one giving me fits is the one I bought from Spencer's. The other one was from an online site and works great. It always took a long time to warm up. Was acting like it normally did until today. Will take precautions with tests.

i agree with trying a bulb extender.  the bulb needs to be very close to the bottom of the globe, else it won't heat properly or will take many hours to do so.  this is especially true as the weather gets cooler.  one of my heritage grandes would only produce small globes until i added a bulb extender.  now it flows just fine.

Even my 52 oz'ers take longer to heat up in the cooler temps so I could imagine a grande would be tough.

Got on extender. Tested the gap with play dough. Looks like it has clearance. Now gotta wait.
Around 3 hrs in and my other grande is moving better than the one I put the extender in. But, it is actually starting to make steams instead of just sputtering. I might have to stick with the extender option. At least it is quite a bit faster. It would normally sputter blobs for 5-7 hrs before making streams.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service