Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

So, I followed Claude's instructions for recapping my grande with the 2 part epoxy. I keep thinking to myself that in my small place, with animals included I can't afford for this lamp to blow it's top after hours of use. I would probably ruin my living room for good and possibly hurt my little fury friend.

So, I went a step further. I think the photos are pretty clear in what I did.

I simply used stainless steel strapping bought from lowes along with a hose clamp to create a second layer of protection.

I simply created a plus sign with the strapping, bent it over the cap, used a good thick hose clamp to hold in place (the hose clamps tightens smaller than the width of the widest part of the neck, and then bent the strapping back over the hose clamp Kinda similar to a wire champaign cork holder if that makes sense. After bending the strap back over, I lightly tapped with the back of the screw driver the bends to flatten them out again's the strapping.

After all was done I backed off the screw a bit so that the hose clamp was not crazy tight, just snug  to stay less diameter than the widest part of the neck. This should allow the glass neck to expand while it gets hot.

The reason why I am so worried about recapping grandes is the fact that they build alot of pressure, thus possible creating a hazard once they get ultra hot.

When it was not capped and ran for a few days I had no worried other than loosing some water. Now I am worried about having a possible volcano in my place.

Oh yes, with this setup the decorative cap does not fit back over, however, I believe with a little trimming of the strap tails, it would fit.

Thoughts / comments?

Views: 919

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh common, you know you like the idea, no reason not to have a little extra safety.

its not the cap popping off you need to worry about

It is the flying glass shrapnel that will kill you then the flying hot wax that will give an external burn, then the caustic liquid contents that will give you a thermal injury and if inhaled an internal thermal burn. Nah, nothing at all to worry about!  If she does blow, am sure that super reinforced globe top will remain intact.  Keep us up to date bro!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Mr MaGoo said:

It is the flying glass shrapnel that will kill you then the flying hot wax that will give an external burn, then the caustic liquid contents that will give you a thermal injury and if inhaled an internal thermal burn. Nah, nothing at all to worry about!  If she does blow, am sure that super reinforced globe top will remain intact.  Keep us up to date bro!

Funny and funnier. Claude then what is the worry? I don't think many bottles explode like the one you illustrated as that was using a different heat element and to close to the bottle, no?

Yes, I am over thinking it and yes I worry as compared to my smaller lamps and even royals the grandes are a totally different matter.

I might goo kit my royales and I wouldn't worry about capping those as much as a grande despite the same cap.

I felt safer using the lamp with just the rubber plug pushed back in when it came out a little.

To each his own

^^ That's not a good answer lol

I don’t know if you guys have tried it but hot glue and a hose clamp reseals every bottle I’ve ever opened and even the  cheesy steel cap if your careful you can save it and reuse it !! I added a photo to show you a finished “recap”

Attachments:

Thanks for the info, I am sure I am just being paranoid. I used 4400psi two part epoxy. Ran it for 5 hours tonight with my home made mad max extra security lol. I'm gonna run it tomorrow evening for 6 hours without.

I'm pretty sure the epoxy will hold just fine without the extra clamp setup.  I don't think the clamp and straps help seal the globe anyway.  They do hold the cap in place but don't hold the edges against the glass.

Well, I took the max mad device off and will just see what happens. I am sure nothing will be I always like to be extra safe.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service