Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I've been lavaless for about 30 years, and I recently had a relapse. I fell off the wagon hard. Originally I just had the one Lava Lamp, a 17in Gold Century in blue/white. I got it when I went away to college, and really the reason I only had one was because I lived in a really small space and I didn't have room for more than just the one. Then I graduated and had to become an adult and put my toys away. I live in a much bigger space now, and while cleaning out my closets I found the old lava ov vvλ live. She still worked, and my lova lava was relit. I went a bit nvts on Amazon and bought four more: a 16, two 14s and an 11. The 11 and one of the 14s arrived very cloudy and showed signs of being used. So I returned those and re-ordered. The 14 came correct, but the 11 was again cloudy and showed signs of having been used again. So rather than returning it again, I decided I'm going to crack it open and fix the fluid.

Then today my son (he's 16 and spends most of his time in earpod land) noticed my new lamps. He took his earpods out and spoke. To me! He said they were cool. I'm cool again! I haven't been cool for... who am I kidding I'm a total nerd, I've never been cool. He also grunt-mumbled that he would like one. So, and this is where the disease really took over, I hopped into my car and drove to the nearest Spencer's, which is 30 miles away. I got him the one that he liked, and I bought myself another one too. I now have three large lamps, I call them Goldar, Silvar, and Gam. Granted Silvar and Gam are supposed to be much smaller than Goldar, but it's the 1960 sci-fi geek thought that counts. So the three large lamps, two 14s and an 11 with a questionable future. 

The itching has stopped for now, but I have a feeling I'm going to have to move to a bigger house sometime soon. Oh and because I am a complete and total nerd I automated my lamps by putting them on a smart switch I can control with Alexa and set it up to automatically turn the lamps on three hours before I get home from work and shut off at bed time. 

Well, the first step is admitting you have a problem. But I'm not sure I'm there yet.

Views: 288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome!  Enjoy the hobby and post some pics from time to time as your room fills with lamps. 

Hello, my name is Keith and I am a lava enabler.

Just one more won't hurt anything.

Welcome Nick.  I am a new Lava junkie, as of last fall, and have really gotten into collecting and making my own lamps.  Still perfecting my process, but it is a fun hobby.  This is a great forum with a lot of knowledgable people.  I have learned a ton.  Enjoy  

Come on people, I don't believe anything with out pics.  You nerds know how to use your phones, right?  Lets get on with it!

Oh yeah, welcome to Lavaheads Unite enabling group!

lol, but to be fair, he has posted photos

http://oozinggoo.ning.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?screenName...

Mr MaGoo said:

Come on people, I don't believe anything with out pics.  You nerds know how to use your phones, right?  Lets get on with it!

Oh yeah, welcome to Lavaheads Unite enabling group!

Midlife Crisis (part 3)

I know riiiight! I can stop anytime I want.

Keith said:

Hello, my name is Keith and I am a lava enabler.

Just one more won't hurt anything.

Ya, the upload art of the messages section wouldn't let me post an image. It just told me that the file upload could not be bigger than "MB". No number, just "MB"

Keith said:

lol, but to be fair, he has posted photos

http://oozinggoo.ning.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?screenName...

Mr MaGoo said:

Come on people, I don't believe anything with out pics.  You nerds know how to use your phones, right?  Lets get on with it!

Oh yeah, welcome to Lavaheads Unite enabling group!

Midlife Crisis (part 3)

I just use copy and paste (laptop)

Nick Stefanisko said:

Ya, the upload art of the messages section wouldn't let me post an image. It just told me that the file upload could not be bigger than "MB". No number, just "MB"

OMG I never would have expected that to work. Lemme try. Oh it has to be a previously uploaded image. You can't just open something from your machine and copy/paste it in. But the image button on the editor seems to work now. Maybe my image was just too big before.

I actually managed to fix this lamp  (11in) by replacing the liquid, but then I cracked the bottle while trying to replace the cap.
crap. So into the bin it goes. Upside, I have some spare parts now... for a really unpopular size lamp.

You da man!  Trial and error, is how we all learn.  Of course, some info from the pros here does not hurt!  :P

I was thinking about making my own. I have some "Apothecary" jars that look like they would make good lamps. The question is how do I make a base for them. I found the MagmaTower goo kit which looks easy enough to use so I think that will be fine. I'm just not sure how to power it. All my other DIY projects are 3.5 volt electronics and I can get away with plastic or paper boxes. I think I will need metal or ceramic for something like this.



BaBa-Gooey said:

Welcome Nick.  I am a new Lava junkie, as of last fall, and have really gotten into collecting and making my own lamps.  Still perfecting my process, but it is a fun hobby.  This is a great forum with a lot of knowledgable people.  I have learned a ton.  Enjoy  

you can use practically anything for a lamp/heat source from a coffee can to a ceiling can light turned  upside down, to a ceramic cookie jar

The only limits are your imagination

Check out my photo page

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2019   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service