Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

So I scored a brand new 1994 Midnight but I can't seem to get it flowing.  Part of the wax seems stuck at the top of the globe.  I have it on a 60W bulb right now but that doesn't seem to be helping any.  I really want to preserve the globe as much as I can.  Any suggestions without opening it up???

Views: 1015

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've had this before with a red/blue globe and I did NOT want to open it up. I tried swirling it back together, knocking it down from the top, shaking up the globe (do not recommend) and nothing worked. I had to pop the cap, drain most of the liquid and boil the lava back together. 

Idk.  I have had this in the past with an orange white globe.  I boiled it and that fixed it.  I did that to this globe but nothing worked.  I am hoping once it cools off I can try to knock the lava down to the bottom.  I might try boiling it again, but I refuse to open it up.  

Oh, so you boiled it without having the cap off? Be careful! It could explode! 

With a low flame and my undivided attention but it worked in the past, I figured it would work again.  ):

Erin said:

Oh, so you boiled it without having the cap off? Be careful! It could explode! 

The lamp looks a lot better, but the wax is no longer stuck, it just floats at the top.  Still gonna keep running it and hope that it just corrects itself.  ):

It seams it could be too hot - try a 30W or a 40W bulb with it and / or put a dimmer on it.

It was running with a 40W bulb.  Actually it doesn't want to do much.  Would slightly heat up then once the lava started moving half would float to the top and little movement would occur on the bottom.

I'm gonna leave it alone for a few months and then mess with it.  

Well after nearly a month this lamp corrected itself!!!!  :D  Still a tad cloudy but I'm going to run it daily now.  I had kept it in my basement for most of that time.  Last night I ran it and it only had a little lava stuck on top but today its flowing regularly.  

I never opened it up either.  So anyone who has a huge clump of wax stuck at the top or if it just floats back to the top, don't give it up hope.  Most 90s lamps will fix themselves.  

What's best is that this globe is new!!!  It's nice to see that early 90s blue white!!!  :D

Great outcome! Congrats!

Yeah its flowing amazingly right now!!!!  I'm so happy!!!!  This will be the first blue/white globe I've got brand new from the 90s.  I'm hoping it stays this way though I'm thinking it will as the wax that stuck to the top was always separated from the rest of the wax, but that's not the case anymore.  Hoping that running it daily will make it crystal clear.  

Erin said:

Great outcome! Congrats!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service