Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

How Do You Remove The Outer Decorative Cap From A Vintage 70s/80s Century Bottle?

How do you remove the outer decorative gold cap from a vintage (1970s/80s) Century size bottle?  I need to try and repair a cloudy bottle on a Copper Coach lamp but the outer cap will not budge.  I am afraid that it will crack if I force it (and the cap is in such great condition).   Were the outer caps on the older lamp lamps glued on?  

Views: 208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not glued on but they don't come off easy.  Hand grip and lots of effort should get it to come off.  If you use tools you do run the risk of breaking the lid.

A lid gripper like this may help

Image result for lid gripper"

Thanks for the advice!  

Are the vintage outer caps screwed on the bottle or do they simply fit over the inner cap and need to be pulled off (instead of twisting it off)?

Keith said:

Not glued on but they don't come off easy.  Hand grip and lots of effort should get it to come off.  If you use tools you do run the risk of breaking the lid.

A lid gripper like this may help

Image result for lid gripper"

The vintage caps are not an inner and outer cap, they are one-piece (with an O-ring), and screwed on.  They have to be twisted off.

I took another persons post/ advice and purchased a lid gripper and it did not work.  I was afraid the cap would crack or break so I just left it on. What I wanted fixed was done using alternative method so no need to pop open anymore.  When I purchased my lamp on letgo or craigs it was really cloudy like your lamp. I cycled it several times then left it in a dark cold room for a week or so and it cleared up like new.  Have you attempted to cycle this lamp.  They usually bounce back rather nicely.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service