Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I got this lamp off eBay last year and felt my best bet for future enjoyment was to re-wire for the US. I made one really bad attempt (seen here: https://oozinggoo.ning.com/forum/topics/mathmos-jet-rewire) and then it sat in the basement for several months. Don't judge me! :D

The conversion is embarrassingly simple and it's maddening it took me this long to do it.

I'd like to thank Autumn, Lamphead (Jim), Dr.What (Shawn) and Weebotech (Rob). I couldn't have done this without your help, pics and advice.

Supplies:

• One steel nipple (I know, the name makes no sense) - 1/8" IP thread, 1" length
  • Two  1/8" locknuts

3 washers:

• Two for the bottom of the lamp: 3/8" x 1 1/4"
  • One for the top on the other side of the lamp: 3/8" x 1 1/2"

I took out all UK wiring, socket and black clip that held it all in place. Now just dealing with the base of the Jet, I removed the top part of the base (comes off if you pinch the little clips below). Was easier to re-wire and assemble all parts this way.

The order of the parts went like this from top to bottom (with the nipple going through all parts):

• 1 locknut
  • Larger washer
  • Mathmos Jet base
  • 2 smaller washers
  • Locknut
So from the bottom, it looks like this:

And from the top it looks like this:

Then, I threaded the cord through and wired it into the intermediate base:

There is some wiggle room here to adjust how close the bulb will sit to the base of the Jet globe - just adjust where everything sits on the nipple (seriously, why are they called nipples?!?!) a millimeter or two up or down. Mine's pretty close and with a 40W bulb, I'm going to need a dimmer - it gets really, really hot.

Make sure everything is secure and tight and then snap the top part of the base back on and you're good to go!

If I've done anything wrong here, someone please let me know! This is working out great, though I know, I know, I need a dimmer. ;)

I am running a 40W S11 bulb (same as what's used in the old Carlisles), like this:
http://www.lightbulbemporium.com/satco_s3629_40s11_n.asp  (edit: now running on 25W R14 bulb - the little reflector one). 

LOOKIT MEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Edit 03.31.2012 to add a few pics for the Astrobaby. The process is nearly identical. 

First, take out the cord and socket. There are two tabs that hold this into place. Next, with some force (and from the inside on the lamp), you have to punch out the bottom piece. I used the other end of a hammer and tapped it out. Don't remove any of the glue/sealant. Just leave that alone.

I didn't need two washers on the outside, just one. So the order from top down goes (with the nipple going through all parts):

• 1 locknut
  • Larger washer
  • Mathmos Astrobaby base
  • 1 smaller washers
  • Locknut

Like so:

Then, thread your cord through the bottom, through the nipple and attach to the intermediate base. LOOK, WITH YOUR SPECIAL EYES:

Press the chrome base back over the bottom white plastic part and you're in business. I run my Mathmos Jet and Mathmos Astrobaby on a 25W R14 reflector bulb and they run very well. The Jet could use a little more heat, but the Astrobabies run perfect on 25W. 

Views: 3399

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Beautiful! Great job on the rewire ;)
Looks pretty text book to me.  Very clean, very nice work.  Oh - and the Jet is a fine looking Jet as well.  :-)
Thanks! I'm happy to have this running after months in the basement. I hope this write-up will help anyone else who wants to attempt this. :)

Great post Erin. I have an older Metal Jet base on my jet. A rewire is basically impossible because everything seems to be glued in place :( my solution was to get a "Permalite" R-14 Reflector bulb with a euro base. its a 40R14/E14/FL/3... whatever that means. Its 40w and i run a dimmer. No need for a converter because the bulb is 110v. Only problem is the bulbs run about $8 a piece. 

My next jet will have a plastic bulb like yours and i will come back to your post and rewire. Thx again!

Good luck! I didn't even think about the metal bases. I know I had other options, but this was going to be the easiest for me. Thanks for the compliment. :)

EngineerSkinny said:

Great post Erin. I have an older Metal Jet base on my jet. A rewire is basically impossible because everything seems to be glued in place :( my solution was to get a "Permalite" R-14 Reflector bulb with a euro base. its a 40R14/E14/FL/3... whatever that means. Its 40w and i run a dimmer. No need for a converter because the bulb is 110v. Only problem is the bulbs run about $8 a piece. 

My next jet will have a plastic bulb like yours and i will come back to your post and rewire. Thx again!

This is awesome! Three mathmos jets are now awaiting conversion parts. Thank you Erin!

You're welcome. :) Glad I could help. 

Thanks for the pictures. The pictures are worth a thousand words. Can't wait for a Jet, just to try out the conversion.

I have now done an Astrobaby, too, thanks to Autumn's help. It's pretty much the same procedure. 

I wonder how hard it would be to convert a Telstar? Probably about the same? I like some of the Telstars on Ebay from the UK.

Not sure since I've never been in the presence of one. 

Well, I guess I'm up for a challenge with a Telstar

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service