Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I have the worst damn luck - GooKit Grande with bubbles

How does this happen? I've probably run this lamp 6 times and now the wax is full of bubbles. It didn't use to be like this. Anyone else had this happen? 

I followed all the instructions. It's on a 100W flood bulb w/ tinfoil (otherwise it takes way too long to get going). 

I am sad. :(

Views: 3548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No one? Am I the only one with this problem? :(

Hey Erin trying letting it run for a good day or 2 straight without turning it off. Sometimes mine start off with bubbles but after being on for like 12 or so hours, its goes away. I think the less heat it has starting up, the more bubbles you'll get. You just have to find your happy medium for flow after the bubbles go away. It's okay to let your lamp run at full heat to start off. Also how much surf did you use? Did you buy this kit recently? Jim and I both bought a kit over a year ago that had bad wax (too many bubbles) so they sent us new kit. If it continues email them and ask if they had a bad batch of wax at the time you purchased yours.

I bought the kit in summer/fall. I've always run it at a full 100W. I used 55ml of surf. Followed your how-to to the T. 

Thanks for all your help Shawn. I'll fire it up again tonight and see how it goes. 

when you run it how long do you let it go for?

12 hours or so. 

Weird okay well let it run for a couple days see what happens. If it doesnt fix itself contact magma tower and see if they had a bad batch back in july. Also why do you use tinfoil for the bulb? I've never had to use tinfoil for a gookit unless I'm trying to block the light for my UV gookits.

I use tinfoil to raise the heat. It doesn't seem to get hot enough otherwise. I am using 100W reflector bulbs, but even the base doesn't feel that hot when I touch it. 

I just made 3 Grandes over the holidays, 2 of them Flo Blue (one for me and one for my girlfriend MindySweet) and on Flo Green. Had some bubbles but they have gone away for the most part after running for over 8 hours they went away. Still get a few at startup but they go away quickly. Started the lamps on a timer on for 8 off for 4 and so on for about a week.

^ Thanks for the tips tweavs.

BTW these are Fluorescent Grandes and I am using a 150 Watt Blacklight bulb not the 100W Floods that comes with Grandes. I dont think they produce as much heat and I am NOT using a dimmer. I just capped two of tehm last night so I will see with the rubber stopper in if I need a dimmer.

I kind of suspect that your lamp may be a bit too hot.

Hmmm. It doesn't feel too hot. My 40W 32oz. lamps are hotter! 

I will keep experimenting. I was just about to buy another GooKit, too, but I am holding off now due to the price hike ($5) and waiting to see how this one pans out. 

I agree I'm thinking it getting too hot as well with that tinfoil on it. Just run it Erin and keep running it until you notice the bubbles disappearing.If that doesn't work then I would contact magmatower.

@ tweavs With my fluorescent grande I've tried the 100watt bulb route as well and they did nothing like you said. But instead of using a 150w blacklight bulb, I used a cermaic reptile heater that produces no light at all and then I use a external blacklight florescent bulb. Not using a lightbulb for a heating source makes a huge difference with fluorescent goo, so much more vivid and bright it's a night and day difference..

tweavs said:

BTW these are Fluorescent Grandes and I am using a 150 Watt Blacklight bulb not the 100W Floods that comes with Grandes. I dont think they produce as much heat and I am NOT using a dimmer. I just capped two of tehm last night so I will see with the rubber stopper in if I need a dimmer.

I kind of suspect that your lamp may be a bit too hot.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service