Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Two weeks ago, I bought a Regency 4100 at a rural garage sale without the spray! The retired welder running the garage sale said he thought the thing was some kind of Christmas light. He recalled seeing that "funny looking thing" (the spray) somewhere around his house years ago. He's got all kinds of sheds and stuff. I got his phone number and called him t'other day. He still can't find it, but "can see it in his head." So... anybody got one? The spray for the 4100 is wider than the spray for the Firefly and the other Fantasia I used to have (the chrome ball one). Help! Chris Till 937-767-2326

Views: 478

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

These are pretty rare to come by. Good luck in your search!

Man, good luck trying to find an original spray in good condition. You would probably find Hoffa before a spray. One last thing, the sprays can be very fragile. If not packaged properly, the sprays can be broken very easily. Thick cardboard tubes are usually what the sprays were packaged in. Good luck to you and the welder in your search.

I believe the Regency spray fits all the giant models - Solar I, Cosmos, Sunburst, etc. Sunburst was the one giant model made into the 90s, so that'll be the most common giant spray, but I'm not certain that the Regency takes the same ferrule. Sooner or later a Fantasia collector should notice the thread, at least one here has a Regency.

Thanks Erin, Mattmos and Jonas. Has anyone had any luck making their own faux Fantasia sprays? It's not hard to find fiber optic threads. The hard part would be securing them and capping them with just the right size appendage. I would love to get the Regency working! I'm supposed to call the welder (the guy I bought it from) back next month to learn whether he has found it, but I'm not hopeful.

To date, I don't know of anyone who's made a spray. I know there's a guy on here who's made the wheels, but not the spray. I don't think they'd be that hard honestly, but no one's attempted it yet! 

Hi.

A poster here called Kris had some sprays made up for the Sunburst a while back. He had them for sale on ebay at around $150 IIRC.

I understand the sprays are not all that easy to make. They have to be specially heat formed to get the dome shape which might be beyond what most people could do at home.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers.

Geez, $150? Crazy. Seems like a lot of $ to me. My reading on the dome shape of the sprays is that Fantasia hired hairdressers to cut them. Anyway, I don't even have a source for fiber optic cable at this point. Alas... Thanks!

Another idea for a spray: There is a modern company, LumiSource, that makes pseudo-Fantasia fiber optic lamps. From looking at pictures online, I cannot discern how the spray is attached to the lamp and whether it is detachable. Perhaps one of the LumiSource lamps could be cannibalized...

The thing is that the Regency sprays are bigger than any modern plastic fibre sprays.

And yes, the old ones were trimmed by hairdressers using nail scissors. They did this in a dark room, with the sprays mounted on lamp bases so that they lit up and rotated. The scissors had to be replaced frequently, as cutting glass, even very thin glass, dulled them quickly.

You folks are so knowledgeable! Well, I reckon I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the guy I bought the Regency from (the retired welder; lives out in the country; at his garage sale, I also bought a butter cream rotary dial telephone; a Maddux swan TV lamp; a record player w/ 8-track; box of melamine serving ware; and assorted vintage etceteras) finds the spray. Thanks!

Even if you don't get the spray, it sounds as though you made out with all the other cool items you bought. For laughs, show the rotary phone and 8 track/record player to a child 12yrs. and under and ask them if they know what it is. It'll make ya feel old. LOL

Chris Till said:

You folks are so knowledgeable! Well, I reckon I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the guy I bought the Regency from (the retired welder; lives out in the country; at his garage sale, I also bought a butter cream rotary dial telephone; a Maddux swan TV lamp; a record player w/ 8-track; box of melamine serving ware; and assorted vintage etceteras) finds the spray. Thanks!

i have an old rotary phone that works and i get a kick outta my kids friends trying to use it when they need to call home lol...doesnt happen much anymore though since most of em have cell phones now.

Mattmos said:

Even if you don't get the spray, it sounds as though you made out with all the other cool items you bought. For laughs, show the rotary phone and 8 track/record player to a child 12yrs. and under and ask them if they know what it is. It'll make ya feel old. LOL

Chris Till said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service