Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

is anyone else stock piling up one bulbs while theres plenty about? ive noticed on ebay some of the bulbs going up in price specialy like the lunar reflector type which id normaly use in my princess but found the last ones i bought only lasted a few weeks so gone for a 100w standard below as thats a brand ive used in the past :-)

Views: 747

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I probably should be!

I've tended to buy cheap over the last couple of years, but I've bought some really poor quality bulbs :( 

I was wondering whether to try these Pluslite bulbs for my old crestworth lamps?: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOX-OF-100-NEW-25W-SBC-GOLFBALL-BULBS/18...

its tricky i bought some 60watt bulbs made by polaris and was lucky to get a bulb last more than one days worth, complete rubbish, personaly if i was you id see if you can purchase one bulb by that make and see if it lasts a few days use if so then id go for em :-)

OH also some of the small baynet golfball bulbs are slighty larger and you may find the bottle sits on the bulb specialy the nordic's, stay clear of  eveready, i got some as seen in the photo and are to big, will work in the astro mini's 

That's a good idea, I'll see what the seller says.

I've bought some of these Power Tech (although they're listed as Crompton on the website) BC 25w bulbs: https://www.stagesuperstore.co.uk/round-light-bulb-b22d-25w-240v-ba...

43 pence each if you buy 11 or more + postage.

They arrived quickly, very well packaged, and appear to be good quality.

I hadn't even thought about this but wanted to say thanks for bringing it to my attention!

the powertech make is good ive been using them for ages so a good buy there mark

Mark said:

I've bought some of these Power Tech (although they're listed as Crompton on the website) BC 25w bulbs: https://www.stagesuperstore.co.uk/round-light-bulb-b22d-25w-240v-ba...

43 pence each if you buy 11 or more + postage.

They arrived quickly, very well packaged, and appear to be good quality.

I can confirm that the Pluslite bulbs I linked above are the slightly larger variety/not suitable for nordics :( 

So I'm using some redundant mathmos baby glitter to save some vintage French glitter lamps, and I'm quite please with them.

It's obviously slower than the original look, but it's very reliable/stable fluid.

However, it absolutely doen't run properly on anything other than 30w!

25w just leaves much of the glitter sitting on the bottom.

Now I'm struggling to find affordable 30w spots anywhere..,..any suggestions?

30 watt reflectors (for early 52 oz lamps and vintage Regency models) are getting hard to find. 

We need a bulb mod!

fog rider said:

30 watt reflectors (for early 52 oz lamps and vintage Regency models) are getting hard to find. 

Yes, I've been stocking up with Crompton bulbs; have you noticed (as I think Mark has) that other brands are increasingly frequently substituted at despatch?; and some of these substitutes are poor quality - I've had issues with Polaris too.

(Though aren't Bell pretty good? And you mention Powertech, but are there many other reliable brands?)

I agree that the golf-ball "size" issue is a real pain, too - I've had sellers getting quite stroppy when the fact their non-Crompton bulbs don't fit is pointed out to them.... eventually I've come to the opinion that the only way to do this seriously is to double-check you're going to receive the advertised brand before you pay.

(I've started calling these larger golf-balls "teardrops" as they more nearly resemble this shape, btw...)

Isn't it odd - we'll often spend what it takes to get the right lamps, but then buy on price for bulbs?

I keep catching myself doing it...

Bell are good bulbs as well as is powertech,  the eveready are the teardrop type and bottles wont sit in the nordic stands, i have found that wilko's halogen golf ball will work in the nordic bases , they are good for the astro mini's as dont get so hot as a 40watt.

Ive been using a maxium bulb as pictured in the giant lamp i got ( 60watt ) and is on for about 9 hours a day Now running a Lunar bottle contents ( my mix kept going cloudy ) the bulb has been in since feb and not blown so i give that make "maxium" top 10 for bulb quality

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service